Integrating Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution

In summary, the conversation involves finding a way to integrate the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution without approximation or help from Maple. The suggested method is to use a standard table of integrands and differentiate the integral, or to use the error function to numerically integrate the distribution between two finite limits. There is also mention of a need for a correction to the distribution to account for particles with speeds greater than the speed of light.
ejensen6
I don’t know how to integrate the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution without approximation or help from Maple.

Given the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

f(v) = 4*pi*[m/(2*pi*k*T)]^(3/2)*v^2*exp[(-m*v^2)/(2*k*T)]

Assuming a fixed temperature and mass, one can simplify this equation:

f(v) = a*v^2*exp[-bv^2]
a = 4*pi*[m/(2*pi*k*T)]^(3/2)
b = m/(2*k*T)

In order to calculate the fraction of particles between two speeds v1 and v2, one should evaluate the definite integral:

∫f(v)dv

Can this be done analytically?

Also, this function predicts a non-zero (albeit very small) probability for particles to have a speed greater than the speed of light. Is there a correction to this distribution that takes this into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simplest way is 1) find it in a standard table of integrands and 2) then differentiate the integral just to convince yourself.

Table of Integrals

I haven't been able to find this integral in a table. I looked in Gradshteyn and Ryzhik's book and couldn't find it. Maybe I need to find a bigger book of integrals.

There isn't one. Let's look at our good friend the Gaussian integral. If you're in a statistical mechanics course, you are going to become a master of these things by the time you're done.

Okay, so
[tex]I(\alpha) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx e^{- \alpha x^2}[/tex]
Let's square it. Then we get that
[tex]I(\alpha)^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy e^{-\alpha(x^2 + y^2)}[/tex]
After making a change of coordinates to polar and integrating over the entire plane, we get that the integral is given by
[tex]I(\alpha) = \sqrt{\pi/\alpha}[/tex]
Okay, but what about terms like x^2? Well...
[tex] \int x^2 e^{-\alpha x^2} = \int - \frac{d}{d \alpha} e^{-\alpha x^2}[/tex]
Which then means that
[tex]\int x^2 e^{-\alpha x^2} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} I(\alpha)[/tex]
This works for all even powers. This is a rather handy trick to know, and is pretty standard.

Last edited:
Integral

Yes, the solution of that integral from -infinity to +infinity or zero to infinity is well known and can be used to show that the function normalizes. But what if you want to know the fraction of particles that are between two particular speeds? I did find some information at the following web site:

http://user.mc.net/~buckeroo/MXDF.html

It states below equation 35 that the integral "cannot be solved in closed form". I also found a computational chemistry class that had an assignment to numerically integrate the distribution, which implies that this might be necessary:

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nsw/ench250/boltzman.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
look for the function erf(c), ther error function and you should be able to integrate the Boltzmann function between two finite limits.

Erf

I see how "erf" would work. Thanks much.

Does anybody have a reference for the relativistic correction to the speed distribution?

error function

Please describe what is mean by error function.Why we are introducing error function in Maxwell's function distribution?

The error function is defined as
[itex]\textrm{erf}(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^{2}}~\textrm{d}t[/itex]
and pops up a lot when one does integrals with exponentials, even though it doesn't always imply that there is some sort of "error" involved.

cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function

What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is based on the principles of statistical mechanics and is widely used in the study of thermodynamics.

Why is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution important?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a gas and how temperature affects their speeds. It is also essential in calculating various thermodynamic properties such as pressure, volume, and energy.

How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles move randomly and independently of each other. By applying statistical mechanics to this theory, we can derive the probability distribution for the speeds of these particles.

What are the assumptions made in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution assumes that the particles in a gas are non-interacting and have no internal structure. It also assumes that the particles are in thermal equilibrium and that their speeds follow a normal distribution.

Can the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution be applied to all gases?

Yes, the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution can be applied to all gases, regardless of their properties or composition. However, it is most accurate for gases with low densities and at high temperatures, where the ideal gas law is applicable.