How do we calculate percent error without a theoretical value?

In summary, percent deviation and percent error are two ways to measure the accuracy of data. Percent deviation is based on the mean of the sample, while percent error is based on a theoretical expected value. If the deviation is high, it means that the data is skewed and not in line with the expected value. If there is no theoretical value, it is not possible to calculate percent error.
rachelle
% Deviation vs. % Error??

Hey guys, what's the difference between percent deviation and percent error?? I'm totally confused... how do I compare those two percentages? Any explanation or links that can help me with this so I can understand better is much appreciated! Thanks~

Rachelle

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! Thank you :)

But can you tell me one more thing... what does the percent deviation tell me? As oppose to my percent error..? For instance I get my percent deviation to be 5%, and my percent error = 11%. What does this tell me?

Thanks in advance~

The deviation is based on the mean of the sample as being your point of reference for the measurement. The error is based on a theoretic value expected. The deviation doesn't have to be a theoretical expected value. It just happens to be the mean.

Your results mean that the data you collected was skewed. The man of your data was not in line with the theoretical expected value.

jtbell said:

this example have theoretical value which is 54 celcius.but what if we don't have theoretical value?how can we calculate error?

What is % Deviation vs. % Error?

% Deviation and % Error are both measures of how much a value differs from the expected or true value. They are commonly used in scientific experiments to evaluate the accuracy and precision of data.

What is the difference between % Deviation and % Error?

The main difference between % Deviation and % Error is the reference value used. % Deviation compares the measured value to the expected value, while % Error compares the measured value to the true value. % Deviation is often used in quality control, while % Error is more commonly used in scientific experiments.

How do you calculate % Deviation and % Error?

% Deviation is calculated by subtracting the expected value from the measured value, dividing by the expected value, and multiplying by 100. % Error is calculated by subtracting the true value from the measured value, dividing by the true value, and multiplying by 100.

What is an acceptable % Deviation or % Error?

Acceptable % Deviation or % Error values vary depending on the field and experiment being conducted. In general, a lower % Deviation or % Error indicates a more accurate and precise measurement. It is important to compare % Deviation and % Error values to a predetermined acceptable range or to other similar experiments for context.

How can you reduce % Deviation or % Error in experiments?

To reduce % Deviation or % Error, it is important to carefully design and execute the experiment, use precise and reliable equipment, and repeat measurements multiple times. It is also important to identify and minimize sources of error, such as human error or equipment malfunctions. Additionally, using statistical analysis and proper data analysis techniques can help reduce % Deviation or % Error.