Astrophysics Starter Guide | Find the Best Textbooks

In summary, "The magic furnace- the search for the origin of atoms" is a good starter text for astronomy and astrophysics.
FUNKER
hey all,

Has anyone got any suggestions for a good astrophysics starter text. Not to keen for a pop science book, more of a qualitative book.

Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Chandrasekhar's "Intro to Stellar Structure" is a great book, a classic. It's written before fusion was understood though. Still, the mathematic foundations are well explained.

Thanks for your reply Helios will check it out

My university library only has this title ,

Stellar structure and evolution / R. Kippenhahn, A. Weigert.

have you by chance read this?

I'm not sure what level you want.

You might want to look at Astronomy 292 - Winter Quarter 2005 on http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~ryden/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that link George!

The following have proved useful to me as introductions-

'The magic furnace- the search for the origin of atoms' by Marcus Chown

'Fusion, the energy of the universe' by Garry McCracken and Peter Stott (deals mainly with the specifics of fusion reactors but has useful information regarding nucleosynthesis and other phenomena relating to the fusion process)

I recently bought 'Particle astophysics' by Donald Perkins (though leaning heavily on the maths side, is full of useful information, regardless of whether or not you have an A level in maths, and touches on subjects such as dark matter, dark energy, the expanding universe and star formation).

I've also started reading 'the extravagant universe- exploding stars, dark energy and the accelerating cosmos' by Robert Kirshner and while this isn't necessarily an academic book, it's well written and informative.

regards
Steve

Last edited:
My university used "An introduction to modern astrophysics" by Caroll and Ostlie in first year. I found it good once I had done a bit more maths. It covers most things, observational, stellar, black holes... A little on the expensive side if your not doing a course maybe. Was about £45.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that studies the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, such as stars, galaxies, and black holes.

2. Why is it important to have a starter guide for astrophysics?

A starter guide for astrophysics can help individuals who are new to the subject understand the basic concepts and terminology, which can make it easier for them to dive deeper into more complex topics. It can also provide a helpful overview for those who are interested in learning about astrophysics but may not have a formal background in science.

3. How can I find the best textbooks for astrophysics?

One way to find the best textbooks for astrophysics is to read reviews and recommendations from other scientists or educators in the field. You can also consult with your peers or professors for their suggestions, or visit a reputable bookstore or online retailer to browse and compare options.

4. What should I look for in a good astrophysics textbook?

A good astrophysics textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, relevant and up-to-date information, and helpful illustrations and diagrams. It should also have practice problems or exercises for you to test your understanding and further your learning.

5. Do I need a background in math and physics to study astrophysics?

While a background in math and physics can be helpful in understanding and applying the principles of astrophysics, it is not necessarily required. Many introductory textbooks will cover the necessary mathematical and physical concepts, and with dedication and perseverance, anyone can learn the fundamentals of astrophysics.