Mesh Analysis - confusion on writing equations

In summary, mesh analysis is a method used to apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to each individual loop in a circuit. This is done by setting the sum of the voltage drops and gains in a loop equal to zero. In order to correctly apply KVL, it is important to follow the passive sign convention and be consistent in writing voltage drops as negative and voltage gains as positive.
KingNothing
I'm quite confused by mesh analysis. I understand that the idea is basically to apply KVL to each mesh. For example, if you have a loop that contains, say, a 3ohm and 2ohm resistor, and that's it, what is the correct KVL equation? Is it simply 0=3I+2I?

As another example, check out this page: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/Mesh_Analysis
At the bottom, I can understand the first equation: you have a 9V source, and the resistors must cause a 9V voltage drop. But the second equation, I don't understand. Why is the first term positive?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
On your first question, yes, you would write 0=3I+2I. And you would solve it and get I=0, because there are no sources in your example.

In the second loop, the first term is positive because of the +/- sign convention on that resistor. In the first loop, the voltage across that resistor is a *voltage drop* following the direction of the first loop current as shown. But it is a *voltage gain* in the direction of the second current loop as shown. Make sense?

You just have to be careful and consistent in KVL loops to write drops as - voltage changes, and gains as + voltage changes.

Loop2: 0 = 3000(I1 - I2) - 2000I2 - 2000I2
yes it has to do with the passive sign convention. This equation can also
be written as follows
0 = -3000(I2 - I1) - 2000I2 - 2000I2.
I2 and I1 goes through 3Kohms, but in opposite directions. in the second loop just follow I2 and write the equation i wrote :) this avoids confusion
cheers

1. What is Mesh Analysis and when is it used?

Mesh Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different points in a circuit. It is used when the circuit has multiple loops and the goal is to find the values of the currents flowing through each loop.

2. How do I write equations for Mesh Analysis?

To write equations for Mesh Analysis, you need to assign a current variable to each mesh or loop in the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's voltage law to set up equations for each mesh by summing the voltage drops across each element in the loop. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the current values.

3. Can I use Mesh Analysis for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, Mesh Analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources. However, additional variables may need to be introduced in the equations to account for the dependent sources.

4. Are there any limitations to using Mesh Analysis?

Mesh Analysis is only applicable for circuits with multiple loops. If the circuit has only one loop, other methods like Nodal Analysis should be used. Additionally, Mesh Analysis cannot be used for circuits with time-varying elements like capacitors and inductors.

5. How do I know if I have the correct equations for Mesh Analysis?

To ensure that you have the correct equations for Mesh Analysis, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that the sum of the current values calculated for each mesh should equal the total current flowing through the circuit. If this is not the case, then there may be an error in your equations.