Need Help ASAP: DVM, Lab Power Supply & PC Connectivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an off the shelf DVM and Lab Power Supply that can be connected to a PC for logging and switching purposes. The individual initially considers Agilent as a potential supplier, but finds it too expensive and eventually discovers a cheaper alternative through MPJA and Electronics123. They mention the convenience of Agilent products using GPIB connectors and being easily programmable with Agilent VEE.
Panda
I need an off the shelf DVM and Lab Power Supply that can be connected to a PC to firstly log the DVM output and secondly to Switch the PSU on and off dependent on the PSU terminal voltage/current.

I could do an internet search, but I have to get the spec out ASAP and haven't started it yet.

Does anybody know of/use this sort of kit, and can you point me to a Manufacturer/Supplier (Pref UK)

Engineering news on Phys.org
My first thought is "Agilent"

They make world's highest quality test equipment, including a bench DVM and power supplies that can be programmed via PC through a connection called GBIP. Their latest models can be programmed through a network now.

But they are very very expensive.

But here I found an alternative PS

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15316+PS

and multimeter

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2432/.f?sc=16&category=40780 [Broken]

hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'd decided Agilent was the most likely supplier.
The 18A supply current means it ain't going to be cheap, but the £1200 price for the units I put together is still much cheaper then the £16k the contractor is saying it will cost. Time to put my Kicking boots on...

The other good thing about Agilent products is that they all use GPIB connectors (which can be daisy chained) and are easily programmed with Agilent VEE.

1. What is a DVM and why do I need it for my lab?

A DVM, or digital voltmeter, is a device used to measure electrical voltage, current, and resistance. It is an essential tool for any lab as it allows for accurate and precise measurements of electrical signals, which are often crucial for experiments and research.

2. How do I choose the right lab power supply?

When choosing a lab power supply, you should consider factors such as voltage range, current output, and stability. It is important to select a power supply that can meet the specific needs of your experiments and can provide a stable and reliable source of power.

3. What features should I look for in a lab power supply?

Some important features to consider when choosing a lab power supply include adjustable voltage and current limits, overvoltage protection, and remote control capabilities. These features can provide greater flexibility and safety when working with different types of equipment and experiments.

4. How can I connect my lab equipment to my PC?

There are several ways to connect lab equipment to a PC, including using USB, Ethernet, or GPIB interfaces. The best method will depend on the type of equipment and the data transfer requirements. It is important to ensure that the PC and equipment have compatible interfaces.

5. Are there any risks involved in connecting lab equipment to a PC?

There is always a risk of damage to equipment when connecting it to a PC, especially if there is a mismatch in interfaces or if the equipment is not properly grounded. It is important to carefully follow instructions and use appropriate cables and adapters to minimize the risk of damage and ensure safe and reliable connectivity.