L1 L2 Points: Influence & Model Dependence

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    L2
In summary, the conversation discusses the area of influence of the Lagrange L1, L2, L3, L4, and L5 points and their dependence on the model. The website provided shows a diagram of the large area covered by the L4 and L5 points, but the person wonders about the maximum orbit a body can have in this area. They also question how the L3 point can be sustained and suggest that the speed of gravity may wash away any planetary influence. The person mentions the weak attraction of the L4 and L5 points and gives an example of a body, 2002 AA29, passing through them in its orbit.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can some one tell me how big an area of influence the lagrange L1, L2
etc points have ? or are they model depandant ? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://www.physics.montana.edu/faculty/cornish/lagrange.html

In this diagram the area covered by the L4, L5 points look huge, but i guess a body would have to enter it slowly and near the center to be captured, but what would its maximum orbit be?
I can not understand how the L3 point is sustained, surly if the speed of G=C then any planetary influence would be (washed) away by the refresh rate of the speed of G ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The attraction is quite weak. 2002 AA29 sails right through the Earth-Sun L4 and L5 points in its bizarre horseshoe orbit.

1. What are L1 and L2 points?

L1 and L2 points, also known as L1 and L2 norms, are mathematical measures used in machine learning and statistics to quantify the complexity or "size" of a model. They represent the sum of the absolute values (L1) or squared values (L2) of the model's coefficients.

2. How do L1 and L2 points influence a model?

L1 and L2 points act as regularization parameters, which help prevent overfitting in a model by penalizing large coefficients. This leads to a simpler and more generalizable model that performs better on unseen data.

3. What is the difference between L1 and L2 points?

The main difference between L1 and L2 points is the way they penalize large coefficients. L1 points tend to shrink the less important coefficients to zero, effectively performing feature selection, while L2 points shrink all coefficients towards zero but rarely make them exactly zero.

4. Can L1 and L2 points be used together?

Yes, L1 and L2 points can be used together in a technique called elastic net regularization. This combines the strengths of both L1 and L2 points, allowing for feature selection and coefficient shrinkage, while also handling collinearity among features.

5. How do I choose between L1 and L2 points for my model?

The choice between L1 and L2 points depends on the specific dataset and modeling goals. L1 points may be preferred for feature selection, while L2 points may be more suitable for handling collinearity. It is recommended to try both and compare the performance of the models to determine the best approach for a particular problem.