Find Solution for 4 sin(x) = 1.8 in 2nd Quadrant

• Thread starter princiebebe57
  • Start date
In summary, To solve the equation 4 sin(x) = 1.8 in the 2nd quadrant, use the inverse sine function to isolate the value of x. The general process for solving trigonometric equations involves isolating the trigonometric function, using the inverse function, and finding the reference angle and solutions within a given interval. Yes, a calculator can be used to solve this equation by using the inverse functions. Since sine is a periodic function, there are infinitely many solutions, but within the 2nd quadrant, there will be two solutions. The quadratic formula cannot be used to solve this equation as it only applies to quadratic equations and does not involve trigonometric functions.
princiebebe57
This problem seems really easy but I don't know how to solve it. Can someone please help me?

Give the solution in radians which is in the second quadrant for the equation
4 sin(x) = 1.8

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]4\sin x =1.8[/tex]

[tex]\sin x = \frac{9}{20}[/tex]

[tex]x = \arcsin(\frac{9}{20})[/tex]

That answer will give you the solution in the first quadrant.

Use the fact [tex]\sin (\pi - x) = \sin x[/tex] to finish off.

To solve this equation, we can use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) on both sides to isolate the variable x. This will give us the following equation:

x = sin^-1(1.8/4)

Using a calculator, we can find the inverse sine of 1.8/4 which is approximately 0.456. However, this solution is in the first quadrant. To find a solution in the second quadrant, we need to subtract this value from π (pi) to get the following solution:

x = π - 0.456 ≈ 2.685 radians

Therefore, the solution for 4 sin(x) = 1.8 in the second quadrant is approximately 2.685 radians.

1. How do I solve for x in the equation 4 sin(x) = 1.8 in the 2nd quadrant?

In order to solve this equation, you will need to use the inverse sine function, also known as arcsine. This will allow you to isolate the value of x by itself.

2. What is the general process for solving trigonometric equations?

The general process for solving trigonometric equations is to first isolate the trigonometric function (in this case, sine) on one side of the equation. Then, use the inverse function (arcsine) to solve for the value of the angle. Finally, use the unit circle or a calculator to find the reference angle and determine the solutions within the given interval.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. Most scientific calculators have functions for trigonometric inverse functions, such as arcsine, which can help you find the solution for x.

4. How many solutions can I expect for this equation?

Since sine is a periodic function, there are an infinite number of solutions for this equation. However, if you are given a specific interval, there may only be a finite number of solutions within that interval. In this case, there will be two solutions within the 2nd quadrant.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

No, the quadratic formula cannot be used to solve this equation since it only applies to quadratic equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The given equation is not in this form and involves trigonometric functions, so the quadratic formula cannot be applied.