Inertial and Non-Inertial Frames of Reference Question

In summary, the problem involves a rubber stopper suspended by a string from a subway car traveling eastward. As the car slows down, the stopper and string hang at an angle of 13 degrees from the vertical. The acceleration of the train can be determined by using the formula a = g*tan(theta) and the magnitude of tension in the string can be found using the formula T = (m*g)/cos(theta). The final simplified solution for acceleration is a = g*tan(theta) and the tension in the string is T = m*g.
Kaos_Griever

Homework Statement

A rubber stopper of mass 25g is suspended by string from a handrail of a subway car traveling directly eastward. As the subway train nears a station, it begins to slow down, causing the stopper and string to hang at an angle of 13 degrees from the vertical. What is the acceleration of the train? Determine the magnitude of the tension in the string.

The attempt at a solution
Tension of String = (mass)(9.81) / cos 13 degrees
The Horizontal component of Tension = [(mass)(9.81) / cos 13 degrees] sin 13 degrees = (mass)(acceleration)
a = [[(mass)(9.81) / cos 13 degrees] sin 13 degrees] / mass

Physics news on Phys.org
That works. But simplify that answer!

I'm not sure how to simplify the answer because I do not have many values to use...

You have everything you need.

Cancel what can be canceled; use a single trig expression. Then evaluate to get the numerical answer.

Thank you very much! =D It took me a while to understand it.. I thought what I was doing was wrong.

Your solution is fine!

FYI, here's how I would do it:

Horizontal forces:
[tex]T\sin\theta = ma[/tex]

Vertical forces:
[tex]T\cos\theta = mg[/tex]

Combine (divide one by the other) to get:
[tex]a = g\tan\theta[/tex]

Oh, thanks! I really appreciate your help.

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a reference frame that is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, without any acceleration. In other words, an object in an inertial frame will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is a non-inertial frame of reference different from an inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame of reference is a reference frame that is accelerating or rotating. In this type of frame, objects do not follow Newton's laws of motion and may experience fictitious forces.

3. What is the importance of understanding inertial and non-inertial frames of reference?

Understanding these frames of reference is crucial in physics as it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects. It also helps us to differentiate between real forces and fictitious forces.

4. Can an object be in both an inertial and non-inertial frame of reference at the same time?

No, an object can only be in one frame of reference at a time. However, an observer in an inertial frame can view the same object in both inertial and non-inertial frames, depending on their point of view.

5. How do we determine if a frame of reference is inertial or non-inertial?

A frame of reference is considered inertial if an object at rest in that frame will remain at rest or move at a constant velocity. It is considered non-inertial if an object at rest in that frame will accelerate or rotate without any external forces acting on it.