Suggestion - View latest posts

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary: I tried changing the number of posts per page. It doesn't work beyond 20. (Look at the last number of the printable version's URL) May be the admin can change the "internal settings" for the upper-limit.Thanks, never noticed that before.
NeoDevin
Is it at all possible to set something up so when there's a thread with new posts in it, there's a button to take you to the first new post. This would be helpful especially for longer threads, rather than having to sort through looking for it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We used to have that, and I agree, it was a helpful feature. I think it got lost with an upgrade somewhere.

Actually with regard to suggestions:

I know it is possible, under thread tools to view a topic in a printable format (removing all the graphical niceties), but for larger topics it still contains breaks, so you have to print each section. Some of the topics have 30 or more breaks.

Sometimes I like to read the larger topics off-line by printing them. Then I read them when I go for my coffee. :smile:
Is it possible to print the complete topic as one section?

NeoDevin said:
Is it at all possible to set something up so when there's a thread with new posts in it, there's a button to take you to the first new post. This would be helpful especially for longer threads, rather than having to sort through looking for it.

Thanks

Is this what you're looking for?

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 366
MeJennifer said:
Is it possible to print the complete topic as one section?

What do you mean with "as one section"? I believe you can print everything (i.e a topic of any length) if you click the printable version option or so. Worked just fine in my case.

Btw, I find the New Posts option useful enough.

neutrino said:
Is this what you're looking for?

I must be using a different skin, because I click on ">" just to the right of the new poster's name, or just to the right of "Today".

George Jones said:
I must be using a different skin, because I click on ">" just to the right of the new poster's name, or just to the right of "Today".
That takes you to the (current) very last post of the thread, irrespective of whether you have read that thread or not. But in the time you were reading other threads, there may have been more than one new post in another. The button I've circled takes you to the first new post (for you) since your last login.

I use Prime, btw.

Last edited:
radou said:
What do you mean with "as one section"? I believe you can print everything (i.e a topic of any length) if you click the printable version option or so. Worked just fine in my case.

Really?
Open https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4463", which is a very long topic, and then go to thread tools, and select show printable version, then how many pages do you get?

I get 128 pages. Then if I select Show 20 post(s) from this thread on one page, it reduces it to 21 pages.

What I am looking for is something like: Show all post(s) from this thread on one page.

In this example I have to print each separate page 21 times, what I am looking for is to simply print the whole thing once.

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
What I am looking for is something like: Show all post(s) from this thread on one page.

In this example I have to print each separate page 21 times, what I am looking for is to simply print the whole thing once.
I tried changing the number of posts per page. It doesn't work beyond 20. (Look at the last number of the printable version's URL) May be the admin can change the "internal settings" for the upper-limit.

Thanks, never noticed that before.

1. What is the purpose of the "Suggestion - View latest posts" feature?

The purpose of this feature is to provide users with a convenient way to access the most recent posts on a website or platform. This allows them to quickly stay up-to-date with the latest content without having to manually search for it.

2. How does the "Suggestion - View latest posts" feature work?

This feature uses algorithms and data analysis to determine which posts are the most recent and relevant to the user. It then suggests these posts to the user, typically in a designated section or through a pop-up notification.

3. Can I customize the "Suggestion - View latest posts" feature?

This depends on the specific website or platform that you are using. Some may allow you to customize the types of posts that are suggested, while others may not have any customization options available.

4. Is the "Suggestion - View latest posts" feature based on my personal preferences?

In most cases, yes. This feature often takes into account your browsing history, interests, and interactions on the website or platform to suggest posts that are most relevant to you.

5. How accurate are the suggestions made by the "Suggestion - View latest posts" feature?

The accuracy of the suggestions can vary depending on the algorithms and data used by the website or platform. However, with continuous improvements and updates, this feature can become more accurate over time.