Electricity - Half wave rectifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the capacitor value needed to limit ripple in a half wave rectifier with a load current of 100 mA and an input frequency of 60 Hz. The equation V_r=I_{dc}/fC is suggested, with Vr representing the ripple voltage, Idc representing direct current, f representing frequency, and C representing capacitance. Further research on "half-wave rectifier capacitor filter" is recommended to confirm the accuracy of the equation.
snowJT

Homework Statement

A half wave rectifier is supplying a load current of 100 mA. The input frequency is 60 Hz. Find the capacitor value required to limit the ripple ot 160 mVpp.

Really... I can solve this I'm sure... But I'm wondering what formula I need to use... I've never been shown one in class, and I don't have a textbook, so a little help with a formula would be nice...

Physics news on Phys.org
its V = IR

somebody please?

I think the equation you're looking for is [tex]V_r=I_{dc}/fC[/tex].
Where Vr is the ripple voltage, Idc is the direct current, f is the frequency of the supply voltage, and C is the capacitance. But I would do a search for something like "half-wave rectifier capacitor filter" to learn about it and be sure that you agree with it. OK? I don't want to mislead you.

1. What is a half wave rectifier?

A half wave rectifier is an electronic circuit that converts alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It allows only half of the AC wave to pass through, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

2. How does a half wave rectifier work?

A half wave rectifier works by using a diode to block the negative portion of the AC wave, allowing only the positive portion to pass through. This results in a DC output with a peak voltage equal to the peak voltage of the AC input.

3. What is the purpose of a half wave rectifier?

The purpose of a half wave rectifier is to convert AC power to DC power, which is necessary for many electronic devices to function properly. It is commonly used in power supplies for household appliances, battery chargers, and other electronic devices.

4. What are the advantages of a half wave rectifier?

The main advantage of a half wave rectifier is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a relatively high output voltage compared to its input voltage, making it suitable for low power applications.

5. What are the limitations of a half wave rectifier?

One of the main limitations of a half wave rectifier is its low efficiency, as it only allows half of the AC wave to be used. It also produces a pulsating DC output, which may not be suitable for certain sensitive electronic devices. Additionally, it cannot be used for high power applications due to its limited output voltage.