A simple question about Covalent Bond and Ionic Bond

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond Ionic
In summary, this question is about the trend of how easy it is to remove the first halide in transition metals.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I started reading a book about the basic foundations of chemistry, and I came up across a simple question.

To answer this question you should understand that there are variable valencies, which is what this question consists of.

If you look at the cuprous chloride compound CuCl, copper has a valency of one.

Chlorine will "take" an electron from the Copper atom, which forms a covalent bond. When taking the electron the overall magnetic charge of the chlorine atom is negative (let's say -1), and Copper is now overall positive (+1).

If we look at a slightly different compound cupric chloride CuCl(2), copper has a valency of 2.

Chlorine 1 and 2 will now take each an electron, so you have two with an overall charge of -1. Copper now gives two away, on its own, and now has an overall charge of +2.

My question is...

Is one bond stronger than the other because of magnetic charge?

In other words, would Chlorine be easier to isolate from the CuCl compound than the CuCl(2) compound, or molecule?

Thanks, for any answers.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anyone?

This is a simple question in which I am pondering.

I'm not sure because I'm no expert but I think that the Cu-Cl bond is identical regardless of how many bonds there are. So it'd require just as much energy to break any Cu-Cl bond.

chemistry always contains of mystery...

JasonRox said:
I started reading a book about the basic foundations of chemistry, and I came up across a simple question.

To answer this question you should understand that there are variable valencies, which is what this question consists of.

If you look at the cuprous chloride compound CuCl, copper has a valency of one.

Chlorine will "take" an electron from the Copper atom, which forms a covalent bond. When taking the electron the overall magnetic charge of the chlorine atom is negative (let's say -1), and Copper is now overall positive (+1).

You are referring to an electric charge... not magnetic.

If we look at a slightly different compound cupric chloride CuCl(2), copper has a valency of 2.

Chlorine 1 and 2 will now take each an electron, so you have two with an overall charge of -1. Copper now gives two away, on its own, and now has an overall charge of +2.

My question is...

Is one bond stronger than the other because of magnetic (electric) charge?

In other words, would Chlorine be easier to isolate from the CuCl compound than the CuCl(2) compound, or molecule?

Thanks, for any answers.

Let's look at trends in the transition metal halide series

Bond Bond dissociation energy (kJmol-1)
Ti-Cl (TiCl4) 429.3
Ti-Cl (TiCl3) 460.2
Ti-Cl (TiCl2) 504.6
Fe-F (FeF3) ~456
Fe-F (FeF2) 481
Fe-Cl (FeCl3) 341.4
Fe-Cl (FeCl2) 400.0
Fe-Br (FeBr3) 291.2
Fe-Br (FeBr2) 339.7
Fe-I (FeI3) 233.5
Fe-I (FeI2) 279.1
Cu-Cl (CuCl2) 293.7
Cu-Cl (CuCl) 360.7
Cu-Br (CuBr2) ~259
Cu-Br (CuBr) 330.1
Cu-I (CuI2) ~192
Cu-I (CuI) ~142

Clearly the trend is that the higher the oxidation state, the easier it is to remove the first halide in transition metals.

Necrophilia :rofl:

A thread dig from 2004? That was long before I was even a member here

Opps! I keep forgetting to check that...

1. What is the difference between covalent and ionic bonds?

Covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms, while ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons from one atom to another.

2. Which type of bond is stronger, covalent or ionic?

Generally, covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds. This is because the shared electrons in covalent bonds create a stronger attraction between the atoms compared to the electrostatic attraction in ionic bonds.

3. Can covalent and ionic bonds occur between the same types of atoms?

Yes, both covalent and ionic bonds can occur between the same types of atoms. It depends on the difference in electronegativity between the atoms. If the difference is large, an ionic bond may form, whereas a small difference may result in a covalent bond.

4. How do covalent and ionic bonds affect the properties of a substance?

Covalent bonds tend to create substances that have low melting and boiling points, are non-conductive, and have weak intermolecular forces. Ionic bonds, on the other hand, result in substances with high melting and boiling points, are conductive when dissolved in water, and have strong intermolecular forces.

5. Can covalent and ionic bonds exist in the same compound?

Yes, covalent and ionic bonds can exist in the same compound. This is known as a polar covalent bond, where the electrons are not shared equally between the atoms, creating a partial ionic character.