Relativistic Kinematics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pion decaying into a muon and a neutrino. The task is to find the angle at which the muon is emitted if the neutrino is emitted at a 90 degree angle. The participants use relativistic formulae for energy and momentum and conservation principles to solve the problem. One participant initially overcomplicates the solution but another points out a simpler and more logical approach.
Flux = Rad
I've done a countless number of these problems before, so I was quite annoyed when I was unable to do this one. It's from Griffiths' Intro to Elementary Particles.

Homework Statement

A pion traveling at speed [tex]v[/tex] decays into a muon and a neutrino,
[tex] \pi^- \rightarrow \mu^- + \bar{\nu}_\mu [/tex]
If the neutrino emerges at 90 degrees to the original pion direction, at what angle does the muon come off?

Homework Equations

Relativistic formulae for energy and momentum, energy and momentum conservation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: in the following I've set [tex]c = 1[/tex]. If that bothers anyone too much, I could do it again keeping the c's in, but it's rather tedious.

I've set it up so that the pion was traveling in the [tex] \hat{x} [/tex] direction, and the neutrino goes off in the [tex] \hat{y} [/tex] direction.

The four vectors for the particles are:
[tex] P_\pi = \left( \begin{array}{cc} E_\pi / c \\ p_\pi \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \qquad P_\nu = \left( \begin{array}{cc} p_\nu \\ 0 \\ p_\nu \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \qquad P_\mu = \left( \begin{array}{cc} E_\mu / c \\ p_x \\ p_y \\ 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

4 momentum conservation states that

[tex] P_\pi = P_\nu + P_\mu [/tex]

Dotting both sides of this equation with itself, and noting that
a) the square of a 4 momentum is the rest mass of the particle
b) the neutrino is effectively massless
I get:

[tex] p_y = \frac{2 E_\mu p_\nu - m_\pi ^2 + m_\mu ^2}{2 p_\nu} [/tex]

If I rearrange my initial statement of energy/momentum conservation to

[tex] P_\nu = P_\pi - P_\mu [/tex]

the result of squaring this is

[tex] p_x = \frac{2 E_\pi E_\mu - m_\pi ^2 m_\mu ^2}{2 p_\pi} [/tex]

This allows me to obtain an expression for the required angle, namely

[tex] \tan \theta = \frac{p_y}{p_x} = \frac{p_\pi (2 E_\mu p_\nu - m_\pi ^2 + m_\mu ^2)}{p_\nu (2 E_\pi E_\mu - m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2)} [/tex]

In order to get rid of the [tex] p_\nu [/tex] terms, I take my conservation master equation and rearrange it to the last possible arrangement, and square:

[tex] P_\mu = P_\pi - P_\nu \quad \Rightarrow \quad P_\nu = \frac{m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2}{2 E_\pi} [/tex]

Substituting this into my rather messy equation for [tex] \tan \theta [/tex], I end up with:

[tex] \tan \theta = 2 \frac{p_\pi (E_\mu - E_\pi)}{2 E_\pi E_\mu - m_\pi ^2 m_\mu ^2} [/tex]

Clearly this isn't satisfactory since we don't know what [tex] E_\mu [/tex] is. I tried using the energy-mass-momentum relation to remedy this but I only managed to get

[tex] \tan \theta = 2 \frac{p_\pi(E_\mu - E_\pi)}{p_\mu ^2 - p_\pi ^2} [/tex]

which isn't of much help either, since we now have unknown [tex] p_\mu [/tex] terms floating about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I try this way:
[tex] P_\pi = \left( \begin{array}{cc} E_\pi / c \\ p_\pi \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \qquad P_\nu = \left( \begin{array}{cc} p_\nu \\ 0 \\ p_\nu \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \qquad P_\mu = \left( \begin{array}{cc} E_\mu / c \\ p_x \\ p_y \\ 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]
Actually,conservation of momentum give [tex]p_\pi=p_x[/tex] and [tex]p_\nu=p_y[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{p_y}{p_x}=\frac{p_\nu}{p_\pi}[/tex]
where
[tex]p_\pi=\gamma m_\pi v[/tex]
and
[tex]p_\nu = \frac{m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2}{2 E_\pi} [/tex] (you have got this relation)
Simplify further
[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{p_y}{p_x}=\frac{p_\nu}{p_\pi}=\frac{m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2}{2 E_\pi}\frac{1}{\gamma m_\pi v}=\frac{m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2}{2 \gamma m_\pi}\frac{1}{\gamma m_\pi v}=\frac{1}{2\gamma^2 v}\left(\frac{m_\pi ^2 - m_\mu ^2}{m^2_\pi}\right)[/tex]

Best regards

Last edited:
Without following all of the details (sorry, it's getting late), but you haven't used at all the fact that you were given the initial velocity of the pion is 'v'. This gives you a relation between E_pi and p_pi in terms of v. That's one less variable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I was making things way too complicated for myself. I'm not sure if the expression I got was correct but variation's method is far more elegant and uhm... logical. Hope that'll teach me to keep an eye on the bigger picture with simpler problems.

Thanks again.

1. What is relativistic kinematics and how does it differ from classical kinematics?

Relativistic kinematics is the study of the motion of objects at speeds close to the speed of light. It differs from classical kinematics in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not present in classical mechanics.

2. What is the Lorentz transformation and how is it used in relativistic kinematics?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of time and space change for observers in different inertial reference frames. It is used in relativistic kinematics to calculate the effects of special relativity on the motion of objects at high speeds.

3. How do you calculate the relativistic momentum and energy of an object?

The relativistic momentum of an object is calculated using the equation p = γmv, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. The relativistic energy is calculated using the equation E = γmc², where c is the speed of light.

4. What is time dilation and how does it affect the motion of objects at high speeds?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time appears to slow down for an object moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to pass slower for the object compared to an observer at rest. This affects the motion of objects at high speeds by changing the rate at which time passes for the object, which in turn affects its velocity and energy.

5. How do you solve a relativistic kinematics problem?

To solve a relativistic kinematics problem, you first need to identify the known variables, such as the velocity, mass, and time. Then, you can use the equations for relativistic momentum and energy to calculate the unknown variables. It is important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations.