Library Store Scanners: Info & How They Work

• Thread starter Moose352
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of scanners at the entrances of libraries and stores to detect stolen products. These scanners work by sensing the presence of magnetic strips, which are commonly found in books and merchandise. They are known as Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) tags and come in various types, with the most common being acousto-magnetic. At some stores, the de-arming device is built into the checkout counter, while at others, the attendant must lay the item on the counter to deactivate the tag. Some stores also use flat, inductive coils attached to items, which can be disarmed by an E-M signal at the door. However, the exact mechanism of how the receiver identifies the theft is not clear.
Moose352
If anyone has been to a library or a store, they have scanners at the entrances that set off an alarm when someone goes by with a stolen product. Anyone have some more information about how these work or what they are called?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A strip of magnetic material is impeded in the books or tags on merchandise. The detectors sense the presence of this strip.

Its the same with DVDs and CD's at my workplace (target). We have to run them over this black magnetic strip thing when we check people out, so the detectors don't go off. Not to imply that we have some sort of security that would do anything about it. *chuckle*

The stores use little devices called EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance) tags. You can learn a lot about them by searching on google. Here's a good site to get you started:

http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/eas/easoverview.htm

The tags you'll encounter most frequently are the acousto-magnetic types.

- Warren

Thanks for the replies. I know most implementations use some type of magnetic sensors. But at my school library, I am quite sure that they do not run the magnetic strip (on the book) through anything, which perplexes me. I'll have to do some more investigation...

Often the de-arming device is built into the checkout counter. All the attendant has to do is lay the book on the counter to deactivate the tag.

- Warren

chroot said:
The stores use little devices called EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance) tags. You can learn a lot about them by searching on google. Here's a good site to get you started:

http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/eas/easoverview.htm

The tags you'll encounter most frequently are the acousto-magnetic types.

- Warren

thank you!

Recently I've noted what appear to be flat, inductive coils (as opposed to magnetic strips) on a patch attached to the item. How does the store disarm one of those? (I couldn't get through to the above suggested site.)

Loren Booda said:
(I couldn't get through to the above suggested site.)

Me too.

I've searched google and find it difficult to get answers to the following questions. Would anyone kindly answer them here?

1. What kind of waves (?) is received by the receiver?
2. How can the receiver identify the theft regardless of the orientation of the tape?

thank you very much

An E-M signal at the door can make the inductive coil resonate, like one of the best bugs once created by the USSR.

1. What is a Library Store Scanner?

A Library Store Scanner is a device used in libraries to scan barcodes or RFID tags on books, allowing for efficient check-in and check-out processes.

2. How do Library Store Scanners work?

Library Store Scanners use infrared or laser technology to read barcodes or RFID tags. The scanner emits a beam of light towards the barcode or tag, which then reflects back to the scanner. The scanner then decodes the information and sends it to the library's database.

3. Can Library Store Scanners scan any type of barcode?

Most Library Store Scanners are capable of scanning traditional barcodes, such as those found on books, but some may also be able to scan QR codes and other types of barcodes used for library services.

4. How accurate are Library Store Scanners?

Library Store Scanners have a high accuracy rate, with most models having an accuracy of 99% or higher. However, factors such as damaged barcodes or tags, and human error can affect the accuracy of the scanner.

5. Are Library Store Scanners easy to use?

Most Library Store Scanners are designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. They typically have simple interfaces and require minimal training to operate. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the scanner.