Who do you trust?

• Thread starter baywax
  • Start date
In summary, trust is the idea that we place our trust in things or people we believe will not harm us, or have a negative effect on our situation. We may place our trust in things we know (like a stone we step on to stay safe), people we know (like our friends), or ideas we believe in (like the scientific method). We may also place our trust in people who have proven themselves to be reliable, or in things, like our homes or possessions.
baywax
Gold Member
Trust. What is it? Who do you trust? What makes you trust them?

Change happens and trusted individuals suddenly become untrustworthy or you yourself change and become less trusting or trustworthy.

What are the ingredients of trust?

Can you trust yourself? What makes you trust anyone including yourself?

Is it after some length of time that trust is granted?

Is it after some sort of certification like being bonded or granted some kind of metal or important position?

Does trust come when a person makes a gesture of one quality or another?

Who do you trust?

Physics news on Phys.org
Trust is the "assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone," or "one in whom confidence is placed." I think primarily truth or honesty of the other person.

I suppose I trust friends and family members. Also, I hope if I make a mistake that I will be given the opportunity to correct the mistake or make amends.

I trust friends to be honest with me.

Obviously I trust certain people whom I've known and to whom I have entrusted myself.

Loss of trust can be annoying, dispiriting to downright devastating, e.g. when one spouse finds that the other has been unfaithful.

I think some time is required for complete trust to be established - it comes with experience.

Why trust others? Because to live without trusting anyone would be a sad existence.

Last edited:
Trust is weakness and a tool meant to be used.

Unless love is involved. Then you can do whatever you want :smile:

Astronuc said:
Trust is the "assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone," or "one in whom confidence is placed." I think primarily truth or honesty of the other person.

I suppose I trust friends and family members. Also, I hope if I make a mistake that I will be given the opportunity to correct the mistake or make amends.

Obviously I trust certain people whom I've known and to whom I have entrusted myself.

Loss of trust can be annoying, dispiriting to downright devastating, e.g. when one spouse finds that the other has been unfaithful.

I think some time is required for complete trust to be established - it comes with experience.

Why trust others? Because to live without trusting anyone would be a sad existence.

Astronuc. These are a lot of conditions that make up trust. It begins to look like a synergy of, as you say, reliance, ability, strength, truth and so on. Is it like some kind of stew?!

Lets use the term "trust" as it applies to a situation that does not involve another human being.

Say you step on to a piece of sandstone that has to support you and keep you from slipping into a raging river. You put your trust in the sandstone. How is this possible? Trusting a stone?

Hmm...

Astronuc said:

I think some time is required for complete trust to be established - it comes with experience.Why trust others? Because to live without trusting anyone would be a sad existence.

I think it's kinda funny how we rationalists define things using more definitions. And then I remember that it's so much more complex than that.Well, there are two solid ways to define it, that I can see:

Through biochemistry and neurology: the chemical process in the brain that make up the reactions necessary to experience "trust."

Through the experiential feelings that humans have that make up trust, and what it means to them.Using the second method --because I suck at chemistry 101-- I defined it thusly:

Trust is the idea that roughly stated means to accept a nearly complete free-flow of information between two or more individuals, or the allowance of certain actions, with the expectation of a non-negative effect(s) to occur.
Who or what do I trust? I trust logic, the scientific method, and the person I will one day choose to live with.

1. Who can I trust?

There is no definitive answer to this question as trust is subjective and can vary from person to person. It ultimately depends on your personal experiences and interactions with individuals.

2. How do I know if I can trust someone?

Trust is built over time through consistent actions and behavior. Pay attention to how someone treats you and others, and whether they follow through on their promises and commitments.

3. Can trust be repaired once it's broken?

Yes, trust can be repaired, but it takes time, effort, and communication from both parties. It may also require setting new boundaries and rebuilding the relationship from a place of honesty and understanding.

4. What should I do if I realize I can't trust someone?

If you have evidence or gut feeling that someone is untrustworthy, it's important to evaluate the situation and determine if it's worth continuing the relationship. It's also important to communicate your feelings and concerns with the person and set boundaries to protect yourself.

5. How can I trust myself?

Trusting yourself involves being self-aware, setting boundaries, and honoring your values and instincts. It's also important to learn from past mistakes and make decisions that align with your personal beliefs and goals.