2D elastic collisions with equal masses

In summary: In an elastic collision, the kinetic and potential energies of the objects are equalized. Conserving momentum...Since the objects are now moving with the same speed, the momentum of each object is the same. Adding the two together gives you the final result you're looking for: the angle between the vectors is 90 degrees.In summary, when two objects of the same mass collide (in an elastic collision), the angles that they bounce off from should combine to 90 degrees.
blader324
Hi everyone, i was just wondering, when two objects of the same mass collide (in an elastic collision) the angles that they bounce off from should combine to 90 degrees. right? so I'm trying to prove this, but I'm a little stuck. i used vector component equations, but i arrived at a little problem. i was just wondering if anyone knew that if the velocities of two objects after the collision multiplied to equal zero...what does that mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
blader324 said:
when two objects of the same mass collide (in an elastic collision) the angles that they bounce off from should combine to 90 degrees. right?

i couldn't understand. could you show a diagram or something
blader324 said:
if the velocities of two objects after the collision multiplied to equal zero...

this too

i don't know how to draw a diagram on this thing.

blader324 said:
Hi everyone, i was just wondering, when two objects of the same mass collide (in an elastic collision) the angles that they bounce off from should combine to 90 degrees. right?

Really? Let's say two the two objects (of same mass) head for each other. After an elastic collision, they retrace their paths. How would you calculate the angles and what do they add up to in my example?

Do you have a more general problem at hand? If so, post that question, we will try to help.

it's a two dimensional collision so they deflect at an angle off of each other...and i don't have a general problem...i have to prove that they bounce off at a combined angle of 90 degrees

i haven't heard of that, it depends upon the path of approach.
if it was so as you said, people wouldn't be playing a game called snooker. try watching a game and see if the combined angle is 90

okay...here's the situation. object a is moving with an intial velocity of whatever...object b is at rest. they collide elastically and in 2 dimensions and bounce off of each other...the combined angles that they bounce off each other should be 90 degrees...maybe that'll help clear things up?

duh.. why wud it be 90 degrees?
assuming that the path of approach of object a passes through the centre of object b, object b will go in the direction of motion of object a and object a will retrace its path(provided the masses of the objects allow this condition), change in the direction of object a is 180 degrees and object b is... duh what was the initial direction of motion of b?

okay...i get what you're saying...but they're not colliding in a straight line...cause otherwise what you're saying would make sense. object b is at rest initially (before it's hit)

Okay, I didn't quite notice the 2D-part. Sorry.

It's an elastic collision. What is its definition? With the given information can you arrive at a simple relation between initial and final velocities of the objects?

Next, use the conservation of momentum and the above result to show what you have been asked for. (It's just algebra)

i did all that already...and then i get the final velocity of A and B equal to zero

Could you show your work? We could make corrections at places where you may have done something wrong.

ugh...nevermind...it's really hard for me to put the equations up...but thank you so much for your time and effort anyways...i have to get going to my class right now...hopefully a classmate can help me figure it out!

thanks so much again! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

blader324 said:
i did all that already...and then i get the final velocity of A and B equal to zero
I presume you mean that you get that the dot (scalar) product of the final velocity vectors equal zero: [itex]\vec{V}_a \cdot \vec{V}_b = 0[/itex]. If so, you're done since that implies that the angle between the vectors is 90 degrees.

Are You Serious!

but how does that work?

That's a fact, jack. :smile:

this is my first time taking physics, can you explain why the angle between those two vectors is 90 degrees, with the fact that vector quantities multiply to be zero

blader324 said:
but how does that work?
The scalar product of the vectors [itex]\vec{A} \cdot \vec{B} = AB\cos\theta[/itex]. That can only be zero if theta = 90 (or A or B equals zero, which is not the case here).

Last edited:
thank you so much sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much Doc Al...you just helped me sooo omuch...take care and once again...THANK YOU!

My pleasure. (Next time, stick to one thread! :wink:)

Psst,doc... theta = pi/2. ;)

neutrino said:
Psst,doc... theta = pi/2. ;)
D'oh! Thanks, neutrino. I'll fix that! :redface: (I left out the 9 in 90.)

First all, I think this result applies only if one of the balls is initially at rest, right? You can then prove the result by applying the conservation laws of energy - since it's an elastic collision - and of momentum.

Conserving energy gives you one equation in terms of the magnitudes of the three velocities (initial velocity of the one moving ball and two final velocities), and conserving momentum gives you a vector equation relating the three velocities. Combine the two equations and do a little algebra and you get the result you're looking for, i.e. the dot product of the two final velocities is zero.

And by the way, for those posters who were wondering about the collision headed directly for the center of the stationary ball, you can work out what final velocities must be in that case, and you'll see that the ball that was initially moving will be at rest and the initially stationary ball will move with the initial velocity. The dot product is still zero, so this result is consistent with the statement that the velocities are perpendicular.

Last edited:

1. What is a 2D elastic collision with equal masses?

A 2D elastic collision with equal masses is a type of collision between two objects of equal mass in two dimensions where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that both objects bounce off each other without losing any energy or changing their direction of motion.

2. How is momentum conserved in a 2D elastic collision with equal masses?

In a 2D elastic collision with equal masses, momentum is conserved because the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is because the momentum of both objects is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net momentum of zero.

3. What is the formula for calculating the velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision with equal masses?

The formula for calculating the velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision with equal masses is:
v1f = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (2 * m2)/(m1 + m2) * v2i
v2f = (2 * m1)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (m2 - m1)/(m1 + m2) * v2i
Where v1f and v2f are the final velocities of the two objects, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the two objects.

4. How do you know if a collision is elastic?

A collision is considered elastic if both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision, and the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. Can the velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision with equal masses be negative?

Yes, the velocities of objects after a 2D elastic collision with equal masses can be negative. This can happen if one object is moving in the opposite direction of the other object before the collision. Negative velocities indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction compared to the direction of motion before the collision.