What falling in love feels like to you

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of love and its various aspects and effects on people. Different perspectives and experiences are shared, ranging from the initial attraction and infatuation to the more stable and lasting platonic relationships. Despite the ups and downs of being in love, it is still seen as a cherished and complex emotion that can bring both joy and pain.
Edin_Dzeko said:
One doesn't "fall" in love. This whole, I got struck by Cupid's arrow is just fictitious stuff for children. Love is a decision and NOT a feeling.

I agree. It's more of an adjective describing the sum of a bunch of different emotions rather than being a feeling itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but I felt this was a great thread.

What it feels like to be in love. Hmm. I'm only fifteen, but there is a girl I like very much. She's sweet, smart, funny, nice, just a very effervescent and bubbly person! Speculating on the future feelings that may be drawn out of me by this girl, I would say being in love is finding that part of you you knew was missing but didn't know how to fill. You feel as though the one and you are inextricably linked, in a way that draws you naturally to him/her. As you accept the faults in yourself, you accept the faults in that person. They show you new outlooks and ideas. You feed off each other, enriching each other in a way that is incomprehensible to everyone accept the two of you.

Love is when a friend asks you for another push on the tricycle, and it's the 147th time, but you do it anyway.

Chronos said:
The only woman who ever annoyed me forgot to lock the door when she left. I ran into her again a year later. She was annoyed I did not hate her.
Thanks Chronos, the most hysterical post in the thread.

"When one is in love, one always begins by deceiving one's self, and one always ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance."
— Oscar Wilde

What it feels like to fall in love? Like suffering from a severe head injury making me dazed and confused followed by having my heart ripped out like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHusdVDX1wWZ0_xGrS1VHODpZ8UzKwnVS3gSsj48nM7dWad-5W.jpg

Ok, so I've never actually been in "love" but I imagine that this is what it would be like.

It takes a woman twenty years to make a man of her son, and another woman twenty minutes to make a fool of him. ~Helen Rowland

shashankac655 said:
It takes a woman twenty years to make a man of her son, and another woman twenty minutes to make a fool of him. ~Helen Rowland

I've seen it happen in even less time than that.

It's love when, if you fight with them, you are fighting with yourself
If you see them injured you can viscerally feel the pain
If their smile warms you like the sun
If sitting with them silently watching the sun rise makes you so happy you almost cry
If you finish each other's sentences
If their touch causes you to melt
If you don't really care what you're doing because doing it with them is always fun
If they make you a better person than you could ever be alone

Love is never painful unless you lose the one you love and even then the wonderful memories never fade

so it's worth it to keep looking until you find the real thing.

You write like a novelist of a romance book. Although this may seem like love, it is more of infatuation or even lust.

The person who shared that with me has been married to the same person for nearly 50 years. Lust - for sure - but certainly not infatuation. They say it was just dumb luck they found each other and they're not complaining.

One other thing I find interesting - in a relationship where both people are in love with each other, there is not a 50 50 sharing of duties, chores, unpleasant tasks. There is a 100% willingness to carry the entire load when needed on both parts and that is without ever being asked to do it.

There is no need to say I love you because both parties know it is true.

When either person sees something that needs to be done, they do it and when the other person sees them working, they will pitch in and help or do something else that needs to be done. They are a real team.

There are no games, no hurt feelings, no crying and no real fighting. There are disagreements that are settled based on who wants it the most and risk vs benefit. It's not a power game because both parties have equal power and no need to try to increase that power.

People in love are NICE to each other, kind, pleasant, supportive and pay attention to the other one so they know if one is sad or tired or just needs a back rub. And it's not hard, it's a joy to find someone who really cares about you and never needs to be told that you care.

Last edited:
Idk if its possible for youngsters to truly fall in love, but that's my case here. I fell in love with a guy who loves me back. Problem is, he lives in Europe and I live in Usa. Which sucks, because of the distance. Although I fell for him, and He fell for me, we've had many problems, fights, bla bla bla. But when we sew it all back together, he's the sweetest kid and he has a charming personality. He won my heart when I noticed that he was always there for me, and if I ever fell, he would always pick me up and help me. It's not actually easy for us, because there is a huge chance we may never meet, and never get married (because he asked me to marry him like in the summer lol). And yeah, I know that fear that grows inside me. I can't say that I'm tough, although when me and him broke up a few times, it did get me stronger and teach me things that I haven't learned before. To be honest, I never actually dated before this guy. I come from a religious background and it's not really approved of me to "date" him. Though I consider him more as my promised guy, then my boyfriend. Idk I see downsides to the word boyfriend lol. But yeah, anyway, I face that fear not meeting him and fulfilling everything he told me he'd do for me in the end. Of course fate will take on the course.

So yeah. Sounds a bit silly I'm posting this and I "think" I know love, but truth is, as a youngster, maybe not serious love lol.

Anyway wanted to share,

:),
ArcherofScience.

This discussion seems mostly about romantic attraction. But a few people lately have raised the issue of actual love, which is a slowly developing constancy of devotion and consideration which lasts a lifetime. That is what people are talking about who have been married for decades.

<h2>1. What are the physical sensations you experience when falling in love?</h2><p>When falling in love, you may experience an increased heart rate, butterflies in your stomach, flushed cheeks, and a feeling of warmth or tingling in your body. These physical sensations are caused by a release of hormones such as adrenaline and oxytocin.</p><h2>2. How does falling in love affect your brain?</h2><p>Falling in love can activate the reward centers of your brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and happiness. It can also decrease activity in the amygdala, which is responsible for fear and anxiety, leading to a sense of calm and security.</p><h2>3. Can you describe the emotional aspects of falling in love?</h2><p>Falling in love can bring about a wide range of emotions, including excitement, joy, happiness, and even fear. You may also feel a strong sense of connection and attachment to the person you are falling in love with.</p><h2>4. How does falling in love impact your behavior?</h2><p>When falling in love, you may find yourself wanting to spend more time with the person you love, and may even prioritize their needs and desires over your own. You may also feel more motivated and energized to do things that make your partner happy.</p><h2>5. Is there a difference between falling in love and being in love?</h2><p>Yes, falling in love is often described as the initial stage of a romantic relationship, where strong feelings of attraction and infatuation are present. Being in love, on the other hand, is a deeper and more stable emotional state that comes with time and involves a strong bond and commitment to the other person.</p>

1. What are the physical sensations you experience when falling in love?

When falling in love, you may experience an increased heart rate, butterflies in your stomach, flushed cheeks, and a feeling of warmth or tingling in your body. These physical sensations are caused by a release of hormones such as adrenaline and oxytocin.

2. How does falling in love affect your brain?

Falling in love can activate the reward centers of your brain, leading to feelings of pleasure and happiness. It can also decrease activity in the amygdala, which is responsible for fear and anxiety, leading to a sense of calm and security.

3. Can you describe the emotional aspects of falling in love?

Falling in love can bring about a wide range of emotions, including excitement, joy, happiness, and even fear. You may also feel a strong sense of connection and attachment to the person you are falling in love with.

4. How does falling in love impact your behavior?

When falling in love, you may find yourself wanting to spend more time with the person you love, and may even prioritize their needs and desires over your own. You may also feel more motivated and energized to do things that make your partner happy.

5. Is there a difference between falling in love and being in love?

Yes, falling in love is often described as the initial stage of a romantic relationship, where strong feelings of attraction and infatuation are present. Being in love, on the other hand, is a deeper and more stable emotional state that comes with time and involves a strong bond and commitment to the other person.