Calculating Average Acceleration of a Golf Ball

In summary, the golf ball was released from a height of 1.76 m and bounced back to a height of 0.80 m. The time it took for the ball to reach 0.08 m was 0.7228 s. To calculate the magnitude of the average acceleration, the equation v_{2}^2 = v_{1}^2 + 2as was used, with s being the displacement. The velocity before the ball hits the ground was found to be 5.873 m/s, and the initial velocity during the upward path was also calculated to be 5.873 m/s. The magnitude of the average acceleration was determined to be 9.8 m/s^2.
chaotixmonjuish
A golf ball released from a height of 1.76 m above a concrete floor, bounces back to a height of 0.80 m. If the ball is in contact with the floor for 4.62 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration a of the ball while it is in contact with the floor?

4.9x^2-1.76

I used this to determine how long it would take for the ball to get to .08m. Apparently it will take .7228 s.

Outside of that, I'm not really sure what to do. Is there a way to relate position to velocity? And what exactly is the magnitude of the average acceleration? I haven't heard that term at all until this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the velocity before the ball hits the ground when it's dropped from 1.76m?

You should be familiar with this equation:

[tex]v_{2}^2 = v_{1}^2 + 2as[/tex] where s is the displacement.

I actually gave you all my givens, unless I'm suppose to calculate velocity.

Is it 9.799 m/s^2

okay, i keep getting ansewrs in the 23.86 range, however they seem to be wrong

chaotixmonjuish said:
I actually gave you all my givens, unless I'm suppose to calculate velocity.

Yes, calculate the velocity right before it hits the ground... use the formula I posted.

okay using that formula, i got 17.924 as the average acceleration

actually i took the acceleration of both sides and then took the average

No, that's not right. Can you post your work? What did you get for the velocity before the ball hits the ground?

4.9x^2-1.76=0
x=.5993

9.8(.5593)=5.873 m/s at the point of impact

would i have to do something similar for the other side?

chaotixmonjuish said:
4.9x^2-1.76=0
x=.5993

9.8(.5593)=5.873 m/s at the point of impact

would i have to do something similar for the other side?

Exactly... find the initial velocity during the path when the ball goes upwards to 0.80m. ie: the velocity right after it bounces up.

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over a specific period of time. It is a measure of how much an object's speed or direction changes in a given time interval.

2. How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the average acceleration of a golf ball?

The average acceleration of a golf ball can be affected by several factors, such as the force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is struck, the air resistance, and the surface on which it is rolling. Other factors, such as the temperature and altitude, can also have an impact on the ball's acceleration.

4. How does the average acceleration of a golf ball affect its flight?

The average acceleration of a golf ball can greatly impact its flight. A higher average acceleration can result in a longer distance traveled by the ball, while a lower average acceleration can result in a shorter distance. The direction of the acceleration can also affect the ball's trajectory and ultimately its final destination.

5. Can the average acceleration of a golf ball be changed?

Yes, the average acceleration of a golf ball can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the force applied, the angle of impact, and the surface it is rolling on. Additionally, external factors like wind and temperature can also influence the ball's acceleration. By adjusting these factors, the average acceleration of a golf ball can be increased or decreased.