Determining Prime Numbers: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation is about determining if a number is prime and the methods for doing so. The speaker is looking for tips or tricks to quickly determine if a number is prime, especially for larger numbers. Some methods mentioned include trial division and the Sieve of Eratosthenes. The conversation also touches on mental arithmetic and improving mathematical skills.
Haunted Physt
Hello,

This is my first post. Anyways, from the beginning, since I started learning the subjects at higher level, I have faced this problem -

How to determine if the nos. is a prime no. ?

The numbers under 100 are known to me, but if a bigger digit comes, are there any tricks to determining whether it is a prime no. or not? In one of my previous exams, I had found myself in trouble with just this small no. 151 ... :eek: and yeah, I found that it was prime within minutes, but I always try to divide the number by 7, 13, 17, and 19 to determine whether it is a prime or not. But this is just trial and error, so, could anybody, any mathgenius disclose me the trick? Require it badly for the upcoming exams - 1 day to go!

Currently I am in XIth Grade.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you're in 11th grade, and you're doing this for an exam, stick to trial division. Remember that you only have to check up to the square root of the number. So even up to 200 you'd only have to try 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17 and 19. Furthermore, you shouldn't have difficulty (i.e. takes only a few seconds) with 2, 3, 5. There is a trick with 11: http://www.jimloy.com/number/divis.htm For 7, 13, 17 and 19 you'll just have to stick to division. Nevertheless, it shouldn't take more a minute each (if you're taking longer, practise your division!)

In general, primality testing is one of those big number theory problems. In fact, if you're feeling up to it, learning about all the different methods will take you right to the forefront of number theory. However, all these methods are intended for numbers far bigger than you can (or want to) write down, and are suited for computers rather than humans.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one of 11 is a really nice trick! Though, 7's rather a large trick. Aren't there any for the other numbers, 13, 17, and 19?

Not to my knowledge. Personally, I've never used the one for 7 -- it seems so much quicker to just divide.

151 within minutes? Surely you mean within seconds: 2,3,5, clearly not. 7 doesn't divide 11, and hence doesn't divide 151. 11 doesn't divide it either, as we can see by the trick, or just thinking about it - 11 does divide 132 and not 19... And 13^2=169. If it took you more than 2 seconds, then this tells you not that you need more techniques, but that you just need to work on your mental arithmetic.

There's the 1001 trick as well, but that's really useful only for larger numbers. (1001 = 7 * 11 * 13, so subtracting 1001 leaves a number unchanged mod each of those, but it's easy to subtract multiples of 1001.)

matt grime said:
151 within minutes? Surely you mean within seconds: 2,3,5, clearly not. 7 doesn't divide 11, and hence doesn't divide 151. 11 doesn't divide it either, as we can see by the trick, or just thinking about it - 11 does divide 132 and not 19... And 13^2=169. If it took you more than 2 seconds, then this tells you not that you need more techniques, but that you just need to work on your mental arithmetic.

Well, I actually meant within seconds, but you are true. So any tips to working on Mental Arithmatic? Its really weak if I see that way...my Maths is to be improved!

Haunted Physt, you want the Sieve of Eratosthenes. Great and fundamental exercise for finding prime numbers. Try an internet search. Also, your elementary school textbooks in arithmetic should discuss this.

List numbers in rows of 10; go from 1 to 200 (or whatever upper limit you want).
Put X on 1; put circle around 2;
Put X on all multiples of 2, but not on 2 itself.
Come back to the lowest unmarked number and put circle around it;
Put X on all multiples of this number.
Come back to the lowest unmarked number and put circle around it;
Continue in this manner until all of the numbers are marked.

The circled numbers are the prime numbers; the numbers with X (except 1) are all "composite" numbers.

...Actually when I said "list the numbers...", I meant rows like 1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to 30... like that. You want a chart, not simply a running list, but a chart with rows of ten elements long.

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. In other words, it has no other factors besides 1 and itself.

2. How do I determine if a number is prime?

There are a few methods to determine if a number is prime. One way is to check if it is divisible by any numbers from 2 to the square root of the number. Another method is to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which involves eliminating all multiples of smaller prime numbers.

3. What is the largest known prime number?

As of now, the largest known prime number is 2^82,589,933 - 1, which has over 24 million digits. This number was discovered in December 2018.

4. Are there any patterns in prime numbers?

While there is no definitive pattern in prime numbers, there are some interesting observations. For example, prime numbers tend to become less frequent as they get larger, and they also tend to occur more often as the number gets closer to a multiple of 6.

5. What are the practical applications of determining prime numbers?

Determining prime numbers has many practical applications, including cryptography, data encryption, and generating random numbers. In addition, prime numbers are used in various algorithms for efficient computation and in the study of number theory.