How does lemon juice affect the color intensity of henna?

In summary: The color change is reversible, but it may be difficult to get spectrophotometric measurements since the henna will be dry when tested.
L²Cc
For my IB chemistry extended essay, I'm investigating the effect lemon juice has on the color intensity of henna, an olive-green, tooth-paste like substance we apply to the body for either decoration or health reasons (image google it). I know that the lemon juice darkens the henna, but I have to carry out an experiment that validates this so that I can then explain the molecular reactions that happen when these two substances come together. Do you have any ideas of an experiment that's fairly accurate and gives concrete data values for the color change that henna may undergo after the lemon juice has been added. I was thinking of simply 'painting' henna across some animal skin and leave it dry and see the color change may happen, but this is fairly bias...I would rather have proper data values. Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would start with trying to find out what is in henna, what kind of organic compound(s) determine its composition. If lemon juice (weak acid) darkens henna, it might be some kind of oxidation, or acid/base reaction that gives such a colored product. If you can find the active ingredient in henna that gives such a color change with the lemon juice- there are spectrophotometric measurements you could take with the reaction mixture that would give you concrete data values

Also does it just darken the henna alone or when the henna is on the skin? Those are two different experiments.

Try also other acids, like maybe acetic acid, carbonic acid, maybe oxalic acid. Also, is the color change reversible? When you neutralize the acidity of the treated henna, does the color go back to its original?

If acidity/alkalinity alone affects the henna color, what concentration of henna is needed for seeing or assessing its color? Could you perform a pH adjustment in a small container of henna?

Thank you. Eli64, what we do here, in Morocco, is we mix the lemon juice with henna while preparing the mixture. This causes the henna to be darker when on the skin, so, to answer your question, there is no visible color change when the henna is still a 'fluid'. Hence, how can I obtain spectrophotometric measurements when the henna is dry?

Symbolipoint, I like your idea of observing the different color changes that happen with other acids, but then how can I experimentally and analytically compare the color changes?

Symbolipoint, I like your idea of observing the different color changes that happen with other acids, but then how can I experimentally and analytically compare the color changes?

Pick some standard henna concentration, replicate this, and treat most of them with different acids, and measure pH's of each. Pick ONE replicate to use as a blank. Exactly what is your test standard must be for you to decide, since you are familiar with this henna. Also, you will need to determine how many moles of acid formula unit are needed for an given unit of pH change. Your color assessment could be taken as precise visual judgements, but if your henna solutions can be dilute enough, maybe a spectrophotometer could be used.

The active ingredient in henna is 2-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone. I believe that the acid in the lemon juice helps to extract the dye and that the dye is oxidized on the skin from atmospheric oxygen, causing it to darken.

1. What is the purpose of a Chemistry Extended Essay?

The purpose of a Chemistry Extended Essay is to allow students to explore a specific topic in chemistry in greater depth. This gives students the opportunity to develop their research and analytical skills, as well as their understanding of the scientific method.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Chemistry Extended Essay?

Choosing a topic for a Chemistry Extended Essay can be challenging, but it is important to choose a topic that interests you and is feasible to research. It is also beneficial to choose a topic that aligns with your strengths in chemistry.

3. How long should a Chemistry Extended Essay be?

A Chemistry Extended Essay should be between 3500 and 4000 words, not including the abstract, acknowledgements, table of contents, and references. It is important to ensure that the essay includes all necessary information and meets the word count requirement.

4. What format should a Chemistry Extended Essay follow?

A Chemistry Extended Essay should follow the standard format for academic essays, including an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It should also include a title page, abstract, table of contents, and references section. The essay should be written in a clear and organized manner, using proper scientific language and conventions.

5. What sources should I use for my Chemistry Extended Essay?

It is important to use a variety of reputable sources for a Chemistry Extended Essay, including scientific journals, textbooks, and online databases. These sources should be properly cited in the essay using a consistent citation style, such as APA or MLA. It is also beneficial to consult with a supervisor or expert in the field to ensure the accuracy and validity of the information used in the essay.