Simplifying sin(A)sin^3(B) for Integration?

• Thread starter T-7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
Power-reduction_formulasIn summary, the best way to expand sin(A)sin^3(B) into a suitable form for integration is to use a power reduction formula, which will eliminate the sin3 term and result in a shorter expression. This can be achieved by using identities for sinAsinB and cosAcosB, and also for cos2B. The final result would be: 3/8*cos(A-B) - 3/8*cos(A+B) + 1/8*cos(A+3B) - 1/8*cos(A-3B).
T-7
Hi,

Just a quick trig. question:

What's the best way to expand sin(A)sin^3(B) into a suitable form for integration? (A and B are both functions of x here. As it happens, A = j*pi*x/a and B = pi*x/a)

I have written an expression in terms of elements such as cos(A-B), cos(A+B) etc., but it's a little long, and I'm inclined to think there might be a shorter way of doing it -- something obvious that I'm not thinking of (?).

My final result: 3/8*cos(A-B) - 3/8*cos(A+B) + 1/8*cos(A+3B) - 1/8*cos(A-3B)

(I used identities for sinAsinB, and for cosAcosB several times, and for cos 2B).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. What is the purpose of trigonometry?

The purpose of trigonometry is to help with calculations and measurements involving triangles, such as finding unknown lengths or angles.

3. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions that relate the angles of a triangle to its sides. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

4. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use trigonometric identities, rules, and formulas to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable you are solving for.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is used to calculate distances, angles, heights, and other measurements in these fields.