Partial Fractions Decomposition for 9/[(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)]

In summary, the person is given the expression 9/[(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)] as part of a Laplace Transform and is trying to decompose it into partial fractions. They attempt to simplify the expression and set up a system of equations to solve for the unknown variables, but are unable to find a unique solution. They realize that the right side of the equation is incorrect and should be E/(s-1)^2(s-4) instead. Finally, they provide the correct decomposition as 9/(s-1)^2(s-4) = A/(s-1)^2 + B/(s-1) + C/(s-4).
jwang34

Homework Statement

I am given 9/[(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)] as part of a Laplace Transform. I'm supposed to decompose into partial fractions.

Homework Equations

So 9/[(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)]= D/(s-1)+E/(s-1)+F/(s-4)

The Attempt at a Solution

To simplify:
9= D(s-1)(s-4)+ E(s-1)(s-4)+ F(s-1)^2
So since (s-1)(s-4)=s^2-5s+4
9= Ds^2-5Ds+4D+Es^2-5Es+4E+Fs^2-2Fs+F
So collect like terms
9=(D+E+F)s^2+(-5D-5E-2F)s+4D+4E+F

Now there's three equations and three terms.
D+E+F=0, -5D-5E-2F=0 and 4D+4E+F=9

I have come up with the following D=-1.2, E=4.2, and F=-3 using all three equations but it doesn't satisfy the second equation. I tried to solve this system with a matrix, but that didn't work. I'm wondering if a unique solution even exists...any insight is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jwang34 said:

Homework Equations

So 9/[(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)]= D/(s-1)+E/(s-1)+F/(s-4)

right side is wrong. it should be E/(s-1)^2

(s-1)(s-1)(s-4)=(s-1)^2(s-4)

so 9/(s-1)^2(s-4) = A/(s-1)^2 + B/(s-1) + C/(s-4)

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. It is particularly useful when integrating rational functions.

2. When do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used when we have a rational function with a denominator that can be factored into linear or repeated linear factors. It allows us to break down the original function into simpler components that are easier to work with.

3. How do we find the partial fraction decomposition?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, we first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, we set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the original function and the factors of the denominator. This system can be solved to find the unknown coefficients of the partial fraction decomposition.

4. What is the purpose of finding the partial fraction decomposition?

The purpose of finding the partial fraction decomposition is to simplify the integration process. Once we have the rational function broken down into simpler fractions, we can use basic integration techniques to integrate each fraction separately. This is often more manageable than trying to integrate the original function directly.

5. Are there any special cases when using partial fractions?

Yes, there are two special cases when using partial fractions: when the denominator has repeated linear factors, and when the denominator has irreducible quadratic factors. In these cases, the system of equations may have repeated or complex solutions, and additional steps may be required to find the partial fraction decomposition.