Solenoid Valve? Area Adjustment?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a valve with a small and accurately controlled opening size, possibly adjustable by electric signal. The conversation suggests using a servo or proportional control valve, specifically the Asco SD8202 series with varying orifice sizes. The need for remote flow rate change is also mentioned, with the suggestion of using a flow control needle valve, specifically from a company like Bauman that offers automated solutions at a lower cost compared to other automated valves.
hanson
Hi all.
I am now looking for a valve whose opening can be quite accurately controlled.
The size of the opening shall be quite small, around 3mm - 1cm?
I am wondering if you know any valve that may suit my usage?
Can the opening of a solenoid valve be adjusted using electric signal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never seen a solenoid valve that is variable. Sounds like you need some type of servo or proportional control valve.

Do you need to change the flow rate remotely?

Generally you will find a flow control (needle valve) in line with a solenoid, the solenoid turns the flow on and off while the needle valve controls the flow rate. The flow rate is usually adjusted by hand, though I am sure that there are automated solutions, they will be expensive.

Companies like Bauman make a nice actuated needle valve that uses dome loaded air to control the position of the pintle. They are pricey on comparison to solenoid valves, but they are cheap when compared to automated valves in general. Plus, you do get better flow characteristics from a needle valve.

1. What is a solenoid valve?

A solenoid valve is an electromechanical device that controls the flow of liquid or gas by using an electric current to open or close a valve.

2. How does a solenoid valve work?

A solenoid valve has a coil of wire wrapped around a plunger. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the plunger in, allowing the valve to open and allow the flow of liquid or gas. When the current is turned off, the plunger returns to its original position and the valve closes.

3. What is the purpose of area adjustment in a solenoid valve?

Area adjustment in a solenoid valve refers to the ability to adjust the size of the opening or orifice of the valve. This can be useful in controlling the flow rate and pressure of the liquid or gas passing through the valve.

4. How is area adjustment achieved in a solenoid valve?

Area adjustment in a solenoid valve can be achieved through various methods, such as using different sized orifices or by controlling the stroke or position of the plunger. Some solenoid valves also have a built-in adjustable flow control mechanism.

5. What are the applications of solenoid valves with area adjustment?

Solenoid valves with area adjustment are commonly used in a variety of industries, including HVAC systems, irrigation systems, water treatment plants, and industrial automation. They are also used in medical equipment, automotive systems, and household appliances.