Explicit solution of heat/diffusion equation

• Thread starter Holofernes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explicit
In summary, the speaker is trying to use an explicit Finite Difference Method for a transient 1D diffusion equation with linear elements and nonlinear functions for diffusion constant and reaction rate. The diffusion parameter varies along the x-axis and is not continuously differentiable at certain points. The speaker is using the average value of the diffusion parameter for each linear element, but the solution appears to be incorrect. This may be due to the use of a constant diffusion parameter, which results in a more accurate solution. The speaker is unsure of what they are doing wrong and is seeking help.
Holofernes
I am trying to use a explicit FDM for transient 1d conditions with linear elements for specific diffusion equation:

ds/dt=D(x)*d2s/dx2+R(s)

the problem is that I am using different, nonlinear functions describing diffusion constant D(x) and reaction rate R(s).
The diffusion parameter is dependent on position along x and in general case is a function with non-continuous dD(x)/dx at some points. I am using average value of diffusion parameter for each linear element but the solution seems to be not right. I think that is the problem, because when I use constant D everything looks all right. Especially plot of d2s/dx2 is very wired.
What I am doing wrong?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Huh?

Holofernes said:
I am trying to use a explicit FDM for transient 1d conditions with linear elements for specific diffusion equation:

ds/dt=D(x)*d2s/dx2+R(s)

the problem is that I am using different, nonlinear functions describing diffusion constant D(x) and reaction rate R(s).
The diffusion parameter is dependent on position along x and in general case is a function with non-continuous dD(x)/dx at some points. I am using average value of diffusion parameter for each linear element but the solution seems to be not right. I think that is the problem, because when I use constant D everything looks all right. Especially plot of d2s/dx2 is very wired.
What I am doing wrong?
Thanks.

FDM?

Wired as in wire-frame plot? Or is that "weird"?

'wired' as strange. it has to many bumps. should be less compicated in places where D is changing

Gentle hint

So, weird as in "strange"? Too many bumps? Less complicated? And what is FDM? "Finite difference method", perchance? Is your diffusion equation
[tex]
\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = f(x) \, \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+ g(u)
[/tex]
where u is an unknown function of x,t and f,g are known functions of one variable, and where f is continuous but only piecewise differentiable? You hinted at initial conditions--- what are they?

Last edited:

Question 1: What is an explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation?

An explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation is a mathematical expression that provides the exact solution for the temperature distribution over time in a given system. It is obtained by solving the heat/diffusion equation analytically, rather than using numerical methods.

Question 2: What is the heat/diffusion equation?

The heat/diffusion equation is a partial differential equation that describes how heat or particles diffuse through a medium over time. It takes into account factors such as temperature, thermal conductivity, and the initial conditions of the system.

Question 3: How is the explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation derived?

The explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation is derived by applying mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics, to the heat/diffusion equation. These techniques allow us to solve the equation for the temperature distribution over time in a given system.

Question 4: What are the applications of the explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation?

The explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It can be used to model and predict temperature changes in materials, heat transfer in systems, and diffusion of particles in a medium.

Question 5: Is the explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation always accurate?

The explicit solution of the heat/diffusion equation is an exact solution, meaning it provides the exact temperature distribution over time in a given system. However, its accuracy depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and assumptions made in the derivation process. In some cases, it may not fully capture all the complexities of a real-life system and may need to be combined with numerical methods for a more accurate solution.