Understanding Probability Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability functions for the number of eyes on a red or white die when thrown simultaneously. The possible outcomes are recorded as (r,w) where r is the number of eyes on the red die and w is the number of eyes on the white die. The random variables R, Y, and Z are defined as the number of eyes on the red die, the lowest number of eyes, and the largest number of eyes, respectively. The goal is to show that these random variables can be expressed by the given probability functions.
Beowulf2007

Homework Statement

Given [tex]S = \{(r,w)| r,w = 1,2,\ldots, 6\}[/tex]

Deduce the following three probability functions.

Probability that the number of eyes are red

(1)[tex]P_{R}(t) = \frac{1}{6}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Probability that the number of eyes are either red or white

(2)[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Probability that the number of eyes are either red and white

(3)[tex]P_{Z}(t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My Proof (1):

Since there is 6 sides on each dice the combined space [tex]S = 6 \cdot 6 = 36 [/tex] and since there is 6 sides on each sides of red dice, then

[tex]\frac{6}{36} = \frac{1}{6} = P_{R}(t)[/tex]

My Proof(2):

The Events of throwing the two dice are describe in the schema:

[tex]
\begin{array}{|c| c| c| c| c| c| }
\hline
(1,1) & (1,2) & (1,3) & (1,4) & (1,5) & (1,6)\\
\hline
(2,1) & (2,2) & (2,3) & (2,4) & (2,5) & (2,6)\\
\hline
(3,1) & (3,2) & (3,3) & (3,4) & (3,5) & (3,6)\\
\hline
(4,1) & (4,2) & (4,3) & (4,4) & (4,5) & (4,6)\\
\hline
(5,1) & (5,2) & (5,3) & (5,4) & (5,5) & (5,6)\\
\hline
(6,1) & (6,2) & (5,3) & (5,4) & (6,5) & (6,6)\\
\hline
\end{array}
[/tex]
Thus by in the schema:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc} P(x = 1) = \frac{11}{36} & P(x = 2) = \frac{9}{36} & P(x = 3) = \frac{7}{36}\\P(x = 4) = \frac{5}{36} & P(x = 5) = \frac{3}{36} & P(x = 6) = \frac{1}{36} \end{array}[/tex]

which can be describe by the function:

[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

Proof(3)

Thus by in the schema:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc} P(x = 1) = \frac{1}{36} & P(x = 2) = \frac{3}{36} & P(x = 3) = \frac{5}{36}\\P(x = 4) = \frac{7}{36} & P(x = 5) = \frac{9}{36} & P(x = 6) = \frac{11}{36} \end{array}[/tex]

which can be describe by the function:

[tex]P_{Y}(t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] for [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots 6 \}[/tex]

What You Guys say I have deduced the probability functions correctly?? Am I on the right track??

SIncerely Yours
Beowulf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am totally baffled by this! What in the world does the probability of a die coming up a particular number, or anything you have done, have to do with "eyes" being red or white?
Your definition of S says nothing about "eyes" and there is no mention of "eyes" in anything except the questions! What "eyes" are you talking about?

Hello Hallsoft:

Thank You for Your reply. I am sorry that the context of the problem was not clear.

Here is the problem in its full context:

Suppose we throw a red and white die simultaneously. The possible outcome of an experiment such as this can be recorded as follows:

[tex]S = \{r,w\}|r,w = 1,2,\ldots, 6\}[/tex]

where r is the number of eyes the die shows and w is the number of eyes that the white die shows.

R, Y, Z are random variables on the Space S and are defined as follows:

R(r,w) = r (number of eyes that the red dice shows)

Y(r,w) = [tex]r \wee w[/tex] (lowest number of eyes)

Z(r,w) = [tex]r \land w[/tex] (largest number of eyes).

What I am tasked with showing is that these random varibles can be expressed by probability functions below:

[tex]p_{R} (t) = p_{W}(t) = \frac{1}{6}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

[tex]p_{Y} (t) = \frac{13-2t}{36}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

[tex]p_{Y} (t) = \frac{2t-1}{36}[/tex] where [tex]t \in \{1,2,\ldots,6\}[/tex]

This was what I am was trying to show in my orginal post. Does the assigment justify my atempted solution?

Thank You for Your answer in Advance.

Sincerely Yours
Beowulf.

Last edited:

What is a probability function?

A probability function is a mathematical function that assigns a probability or likelihood to each possible outcome of a random event. It is used to describe the probability distribution of a random variable.

What are the types of probability functions?

There are two main types of probability functions: discrete and continuous. Discrete probability functions are used to describe the probability distribution of discrete or countable random variables, while continuous probability functions are used for continuous random variables.

How are probability functions represented?

Probability functions are usually represented in the form of a graph or a mathematical equation. Graphs can be used to visually represent the probability distribution of a random variable, while equations can be used to calculate specific probabilities for different outcomes.

What are some common examples of probability functions?

Some common examples of probability functions include the binomial distribution, Poisson distribution, and normal distribution. These functions are used to model real-world scenarios such as coin flips, the number of customers that enter a store in a given time period, and the heights of a population, respectively.

Why is understanding probability functions important?

Understanding probability functions is important in many fields, including statistics, finance, and engineering. It allows us to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes. It also helps us to analyze and interpret data and make informed conclusions about a population or system.