Definite Intergrals applied to area

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the area using the given functions y=sec^2x and y=e^(2x) in Quadrant I for x<=1. The person also mentions using the fundamental theorem and their calculation using 0 and 1 as lower and upper bounds resulting in -1.637. However, upon using a calculator, the correct answer is 1.557. The expert notes that the person's answer is correct except for an extra minus sign due to e^(2x) being greater than sec^2x in that range. The expert is unable to determine the issue with the calculator.
elitespart
1. y=sec[tex]^{2}x[/tex] and y=e[tex]^{2x}[/tex], in Quadrant I, for x[tex]\leq[/tex]1. I need to calculate the area.

2. fundamental theorem

3. I'm using 0 and 1 as my lower and upper bounds and the answer I'm getting is -1.637 which is not reasonable. When I integrate using the calculator it's coming out to be 1.557. Where am I going wrong? Here's my work: (tan(1)-e[tex]^{2}[/tex]/2) - (tan(o) - e[tex]^{0}[/tex]/2)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is right, except that e^(2x)>sec^2(x) on that range, so you have an extra minus sign. I can't say what your calculator's problem is.

Alright thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is a way to calculate the total area of a specific region.

2. How is a definite integral applied to area?

A definite integral is applied to area by using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. This gives the area between the curve and the x-axis.

3. What is the relationship between definite integrals and Riemann sums?

Riemann sums are a way to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing the areas of those rectangles. As the number of rectangles increases, the Riemann sum approaches the value of the definite integral.

4. Can definite integrals be used for non-rectangular shapes?

Yes, definite integrals can be used for any shape as long as the function describing the shape is known. The area can be calculated by finding the definite integral of the function over a specific interval.

5. What are some real-world applications of definite integrals applied to area?

Definite integrals applied to area have many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a 3D shape, finding the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, and determining the amount of material needed to construct a curved surface. They are also commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering.