What is the derivation of 2e^{2t}\sin{t} in Laplace transform?

In summary, The problem involves finding the inverse Laplace transform of a rational function. The correct form is e^{2t}\cos{t}-2e^{2t}\sin{t}, which includes a term of -2e^{2t}\sin{t}. This term is necessary to account for the (s+2) in the numerator of the cannonical form. The person asking the question missed some Diff Eq material and is grateful for the help provided on the Q&A forum.
faust9
OK, here's the problem

[tex]L^{-1}\{\frac{s}{s^2+4s+5}\}[/tex]

What I did:
[tex]L^{-1}\{\frac{s}{(s+2)^2+1}\}[/tex]

[tex]=e^{2t}\cos{t}[/tex]

The book says:
[tex]=e^{2t}\cos{t}-2e^{2t}\sin{t}[/tex]

Where did the [itex]2e^{2t}\sin{t}[/itex] come from?

Mahalo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica is saying that it's neither of those...

cookiemonster

The cannonical form has an (s+2) in the numerator, not just s (so your invesrse transform calculation was actually incorrect). In order to account for that, you have to add another rational function that has a numerator of -2, which just happens to be (-2) times the cannonical form with sin instead of cos.

Thanks a lot. I missed about a month of Diff Eq due to illness and an auto accident so I've been learning it all on my own. I appreciate the Q&A forum here and all those who help out.

1. What is Laplace and why is it hurting my brain?

Laplace is a mathematical concept named after French mathematician Pierre-Simon Laplace. It is used to describe the probability of an event occurring based on previous knowledge or information. It can be a complex concept to understand, which is why it may be causing confusion or difficulty.

2. How can I better understand Laplace and make it less confusing?

One way to better understand Laplace is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and definitions, and then gradually build upon them. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for clarification from a knowledgeable source.

3. What are some common applications of Laplace and why is it important?

Laplace has various applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, making it an essential tool for problem-solving and decision-making in many industries.

4. Is Laplace only used in advanced mathematics or can it be applied to everyday situations?

While Laplace is often used in advanced mathematics, it can also be applied to everyday situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of winning a game based on previous outcomes, or to predict the likelihood of a certain event occurring in the future.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for mastering Laplace?

One helpful tip for mastering Laplace is to practice solving various problems and exercises. This will not only help you become more comfortable with the concept, but it will also allow you to identify any areas that may need further study. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out resources for extra support and guidance.