Calculating Resistance of Composite Wire: Copper and Iron Combination

In summary, the problem asks for the resistance of a composite wire made by welding a 0.36-mm-diameter, 21-cm-long copper wire to a 0.47-mm-diameter, 101-cm-long iron wire. The wires are assumed to be welded end to end, making a 122-cm-long wire. To find the resistance, the resistances of both wires are calculated separately and then added together.
BuBbLeS01
Resistance of Wire...HeLp!

Homework Statement

A 122-cm-long wire is made by welding a 0.36-mm-diameter, 21-cm-long copper wire to a 0.47-mm-diameter, 101-cm-long iron wire. What is the resistance of the composite wire?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do this since it is made up of 2 different materials?

Physics news on Phys.org
do I just find the resistance of each one and add them?

Resistances in series add up.

how do I know they are in series?

Yea They are not clear on that point do they mean the wires were welded end to end to make a longer wire, OR as is the case sometimes, were the two wires used in parralel to make a thicker wire. I assume ened to end ie series as the person writing the problem would most likley have said welded at both ends if he/she meant paralell. So calculate resistance of each piece and simply add

mikecal1 said:
Yea They are not clear on that point do they mean the wires were welded end to end to make a longer wire, OR as is the case sometimes, were the two wires used in parralel to make a thicker wire. I assume ened to end ie series as the person writing the problem would most likley have said welded at both ends if he/she meant paralell. So calculate resistance of each piece and simply add
oh ok...thank you!

BuBbLeS01 said:

Homework Statement

A 122-cm-long wire is made by welding a 0.36-mm-diameter, 21-cm-long copper wire to a 0.47-mm-diameter, 101-cm-long iron wire. What is the resistance of the composite wire?

If you re-read you have a 21-cm wire and a 101-cm wire. Therefore the only way this problem can work would be to have them end to end to have a 122-cm wire.

So, yes, as has been said above, just calculate both the resistances and add them together.

Great catch Ignea, my bad I read problem way too quick! gets me killed every time

What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is the measure of how much a material opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and is dependent on factors such as the material, length, and cross-sectional area of the wire.

How is the resistance of a wire calculated?

The resistance of a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). In equation form, it is written as R = V/I.

What factors affect the resistance of a wire?

The resistance of a wire is affected by several factors, including the material of the wire, its length, and its cross-sectional area. The temperature of the wire can also impact its resistance, as well as the type of current (AC or DC) flowing through it.

Why is the resistance of a wire important?

The resistance of a wire is important because it determines how much current can flow through the wire. Higher resistance means less current can pass through, while lower resistance allows for more current. This is crucial in electrical circuits and helps control the flow of electricity.

How can the resistance of a wire be reduced?

The resistance of a wire can be reduced by using a material with lower resistance, increasing the cross-sectional area of the wire, and decreasing its length. Additionally, keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also help reduce its resistance.