Sum converging to pi^2/6, why?

In summary: gamesguru just took a weighted average over all power series, giving ones he (?) knew weight 1/n and all others weight 0. :wink:e^x (hyperbolic functions included), sin[x], cos[x], tan[x] all have a factorial in their power series.
gamesguru
[SOLVED] Sum converging to pi^2/6, why?

I've seen the identity,
[tex]\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]
but I've never seen a proof of this. Could anyone tell me why this is true?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well this is a p-series. So the series [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] , converges if

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^{2}}=\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int_1^b x^{-2}dx=-\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}( \frac{1}{x}|_1^b)=-\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}(\frac{1}{b}-1)=1[/tex]

I don't see how would this converge to what u wrote though.. sorry..

Last edited:
I'm well aware that the sum converges, but I'm curious why it converges to [itex]\frac{\pi^1}{6}[/itex], and not some other value. The integral and the sum have different values. The integral is 1, the sum is not.

gamesguru said:
I'm well aware that the sum converges, but I'm curious why it converges to [itex]\frac{\pi^1}{6}[/itex], and not some other value. The integral and the sum have different values. The integral is 1, the sum is not.

Have you learned power series?? I think you have to write the power series for that serie, and after that use the methods of power series to calculate that sum.

sutupidmath said:
Have you learned power series?? I think you have to write the power series for that serie, and after that use the methods of power series to calculate that sum.
If this were a power series, it would involve [itex]n![/itex].

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
Read Euler. He is the master of us all.
Thanks that's what I wanted to see.

That's a very nice explanation, Euler was a true master of mathematics :smile:

sutupidmath said:
The power series for a series? You can think of a numerical series as a power series (in x) evaluated at a specific value of a but there are an infinite number of power series that can produce a given series in that way.

gamesguru said:
If this were a power series, it would involve [itex]n![/itex].
No, a power series is any series of the form [itex]\Sum a_n x^n[/itex] where [itex]a_n[/itex] is any sequence of numbers. Even the Taylor's series for ln(x) does not involve n!

HallsofIvy said:
No, a power series is any series of the form [itex]\Sum a_n x^n[/itex] where [itex]a_n[/itex] is any sequence of numbers. Even the Taylor's series for ln(x) does not involve n!
My bad. Most involve n!, but all involve n.

gamesguru said:
My bad. Most involve n!, but all involve n.

Except those that involve "i"! Do you have any support for your statement that "most" power series involve a factorial? That is certainly not my experience.

HallsofIvy said:
Except those that involve "i"! Do you have any support for your statement that "most" power series involve a factorial? That is certainly not my experience.

gamesguru just took a weighted average over all power series, giving ones he (?) knew weight 1/n and all others weight 0. :wink:

e^x (hyperbolic functions included), sin[x], cos[x], tan[x] all have a factorial in their power series. The only useful examples I can think of that don't have a factorial are the inverse trig functions and the natural log. Anyways, I don't want to get into an argument, I'll just rephrase myself, most power series that I've seen and observe as useful, involve a factorial. And no, I can't prove that.

1. What is the meaning of sum converging to pi^2/6?

The sum converging to pi^2/6 refers to an infinite series that approaches the value of pi^2/6 as more terms are added to the series. This value is also known as the Basel problem or the Basel sum, and it has been proven to equal pi^2/6 through mathematical analysis.

2. How is the sum of pi^2/6 related to the Basel problem?

The Basel problem is a famous mathematical problem that asks for the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integer squares. This sum has been proven to equal pi^2/6, making pi^2/6 the solution to the Basel problem and the sum that the series converges to.

3. Why is pi^2/6 considered an important value in mathematics?

Pi^2/6 is an important value in mathematics because it is a solution to the Basel problem, which has been a topic of interest for mathematicians for centuries. Additionally, pi^2/6 is also related to other important mathematical concepts such as the Riemann zeta function and the distribution of prime numbers.

4. What is the significance of the sum converging to pi^2/6?

The fact that the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integer squares converges to pi^2/6 has significant implications in mathematics. It not only provides a solution to the Basel problem, but it also has connections to other mathematical concepts and areas of study such as number theory and complex analysis.

5. How is the sum converging to pi^2/6 proven?

The proof for the sum of the reciprocals of all positive integer squares converging to pi^2/6 involves complex mathematical analysis and techniques such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula and the Fourier transform. The proof was first provided by Leonhard Euler in 1735 and has since been refined and expanded upon by other mathematicians.