Calculating the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field in a 3D plane

In summary, we have two long, straight wires crossing at right angles. Using the Second Right Hand Rule, we can find the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a point P in the same plane as the two wires. To find the magnetic field at a point 30.0 cm above the point of intersection, we can use the formula B = uo*I/(2*pi*r) and the Second Right Hand Rule again. The magnetic field will have two components, one pointing downwards and one pointing to the right, and the angle between them will be 90 degrees. Using the pythagorean theorem, we can find the total magnetic field and the angle it makes with the horizontal.
mike115

Homework Statement

Two long, straight wires cross each other at right angles, as shown in Figure P19.49. (a) Find the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at point P, which is in the same plane as the two wires. (b) Find the magnetic field at a point 30.0 cm above the point of intersection (30.0 cm out of the page, toward you).

Homework Equations

B = uo*I/(2*pi*r)
Second Right Hand Rule - thumb in direction of current, fingers curl in direction of magnetic field

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a) right.

For part (b), I can determine the magnitude of the two magnetic fields.

B_left = uo*3/(2*pi*sqrt(.3^2 + .3^2))

B_right = uo*5/(2*pi*sqrt(.3^2 + .4^2))

B_left makes an angle of 45 degrees above the plane. B_right makes an angle of 36.9 degrees above the plane.

Now, I am thinking that the magnetic field for each one would have to be perpendicular to these angles. That would give a component of the magnetic field along the x-y plane and a component perpendicular to the x-y plane (along the z axis). I'm not really sure what to do next or if I am even approaching the problem correctly. Can anybody please help?

Attachments

• Figure P19.49.jpg
    Figure P19.49.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,029
Physics news on Phys.org
mike115 said:
above the point of intersection
… not above point P.

Yes, @haruspex is right. There are two components of the B-field above the point of intersection:
$$B_{down}=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{5}{0.3}$$
$$B_{right}=\frac{\mu_0}{2\pi}\frac{3}{0.3}$$

The angle between them is 90 degrees so we can use pythagorean theorem to find the total B as $$B=\sqrt{B_{down}^2+B_{right}^2}$$ and the angle it makes with the horizontal has $$\tan\theta=\frac{B_{down}}{B_{right}}$$

1. How do you calculate the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field in a 3D plane?

In order to calculate the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field in a 3D plane, you will need to know the vector components of the magnetic field at multiple points in space. This can be done using magnetometers or by measuring the current flowing through a wire. Once you have these vector components, you can use the right-hand rule and vector addition to determine the overall direction and magnitude of the magnetic field.

2. What is the right-hand rule and how is it used to determine the direction of the magnetic field?

The right-hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field based on the direction of the electric current and the direction of the force produced by the magnetic field. To use the right-hand rule, point the thumb of your right hand in the direction of the current, then curl your fingers. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Why is it important to calculate the magnetic field in a 3D plane?

Calculating the magnetic field in a 3D plane is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and effects of magnetic fields in three-dimensional space. Many real-world applications, such as MRI machines and compass navigation, involve magnetic fields in 3D, so understanding and accurately calculating them is crucial.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field?

There are many real-world applications of calculating the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field. Some examples include navigation using compasses, magnetic levitation trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. Understanding the magnetic field also plays a role in the design and operation of motors, generators, and other electrical devices.

5. How does the magnetic field affect objects in its vicinity?

The magnetic field can have various effects on objects in its vicinity, depending on the strength and direction of the field. Magnetic fields can attract or repel certain materials, such as iron or other magnetic materials. They can also induce electric currents in conductive materials, which can have a range of effects depending on the application. Additionally, the magnetic field can interact with charged particles, causing them to move in a curved path, which is important in many applications, such as particle accelerators.