BME or Medical Physics: Which to Choose?

In summary, the individual is struggling to decide between pursuing a PhD in Biomedical Engineering or a MS in Medical Physics. They are interested in both fields and are looking for reassurance that Medical Physics is a good career choice. They are also concerned about job opportunities and salary, with the understanding that Medical Physics may be a more competitive field to enter. They are advised to pursue a CAMPEP accredited graduate program and residency in order to gain enough clinical experience to succeed in the job market.
judonight
I need some opinions... I am really struggling on deciding what type of education I would like to pursue next year (my undergrad is in physics):

I have offers from two schools (waiting on hearing back from 3 others; so let's assume these are the only two offers I am going to get).

One offer is in Biomedical Engineering, PhD, (at a school with a good hospital), at a school which would NOT require me to relocate.

The other offer is for a MS (terminal) in Medical Physics (at a school with a VERY good hospital). Which would require a pretty good relocation.

The information that I guess I am looking for are employment and starting salary figures. While the salary is obviously not the root of my interest, it is essentially, now, a factor. I have always had my heart set on Medical Physics, and now i suppose I am looking for reassurance that this is a very good field to go into.

Any opinions/comments are welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, how about this:

Cleveland State Medical physics or University of Cincinnati Biomedical Engineering?

Which and why?

If you've had your heart set on medical physics, what is it about biomedical engineering that makes you consider changing?

When I think about these two areas, I see MedPhys as mostly working in the treatment of cancer (assisting with treatment planning, QA for the machines), but could also be working in imaging or things related to electrical activity of the brain or heart for example. I see BME as working on medical devices like those used by MedPhys and also things like prosthetics. What is it you want to do?

Salary wise, I would wager that you could top out a lot higher in MedPhys than BME. I believe its similar with starting salary too but with no numbers to back it up, that's just my impression.

Employment wise I never find too many "entry level" MedPhys jobs (if someone knows of a good place to look, send me a PM ;) ). Most residency programs I've found are PhD only, a few allow Masters to apply.

judonight said:
Ok, how about this:

Cleveland State Medical physics or University of Cincinnati Biomedical Engineering?

Which and why?

Both programs are very good. I suspect the CSU program is designed to get you out the door with a highly specific job, while the BME program is designed to set you up for a more options (and more uncertainty).

As far as 'what I want to do', I am equally split. I am (unfortunately) very interested in EVERYTHING... I would honestly be equally happy with eigther as a career. I just want to make sure that after years of graduate school, that I will have job opportunities afterwords!

Pay is somewhat important, obviously, but, is probably not a huge deciding factor; especially when compared to job opportunities... unless the pay difference is drastic, which I assume that it may not be (or will not be in the future). I have caught wind that MedPhys is beginning to be saturated with graduating students without new job openings.

judonight said:
Pay is somewhat important, obviously, but, is probably not a huge deciding factor; especially when compared to job opportunities... unless the pay difference is drastic, which I assume that it may not be (or will not be in the future). I have caught wind that MedPhys is beginning to be saturated with graduating students without new job openings.

Actually, there are plenty of job openings in medical physics. what's lacking are applicants with sufficient clinical experience to fill them. Part of the problem is that many graduate programs offer little or not enough exposure to the clinical side of things. Sure, you do research, but clinical medical physics is a lot different than research. Long gone are the days where you could finish a degree doing research and then get OJT (on the job training) to work as a medical physicist.

If you're considering a medical physics career, you should try to get yourself into a CAMPEP accredited graduate program followed by a CAMPEP accredited residency. The combination of the two will give you all the clinical experience you need to take the board exam and confidently step into a job knowing (or thinking you know anyway) what you're doing.

imabug said:
Actually, there are plenty of job openings in medical physics. what's lacking are applicants with sufficient clinical experience to fill them. Part of the problem is that many graduate programs offer little or not enough exposure to the clinical side of things.

I don't know if this is really the case. I talked to a few students last summer that were finishing up their degrees at a CAMPEP approved program with a very strong clinical component that were only getting one interview out of a great number of positions that they applied to. These were highly qualified graduates at an accredited program. The competition for these jobs is extremely high. There also seems to be problems with funding for medical physics graduate students.

This is what I was affraid of... it seems like the market has somewhat been saturated. Further, I don't mind changing location, but moving to the other side of the US is nearly out of the picture, and that seems to also be the case that jobs do not give grads the slightest opportunity to choose location.

Secondly, I am heavily concerned about going to a non accredidated (CAMPEP) school... or maybe I shouldn't be... can anyone shed any light on that?

Don't even bother with a non-campep accredited Med Phys program.

The market is messed up, by the way; there's a small number of people screaming bloody murder for medical physicists, a large number of people who want to become medical physicists, and precious few ways to become one (many residencies add one new student a year). Thus the competition is fierce to get in the game, but at the moment you should find a job once there. On the other hand, I highly suspect we'll see even the end market saturate over the next decade.

Lastly, don't go into medical physics without a thorough understanding of what you'll be doing. Those In Charge decided in the 80's that medical physicists wouldn't be considered providers under medicare, and many medical physicists have felt like they've been increasingly relegated to the level of (highly paid) technician ever since, with less and less involvement in patient care.

Research, research, research! (If you haven't already)

1. What is the difference between BME and Medical Physics?

BME (Biomedical Engineering) and Medical Physics are two distinct fields within the broader area of healthcare technology. BME focuses on applying engineering principles to solve medical and biological problems, while Medical Physics involves the application of physics principles to diagnose and treat diseases.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both BME and Medical Physics have growing job markets, with a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries such as healthcare, research, and medical device companies. Ultimately, the job prospects depend on an individual's skills, interests, and experience.

3. What are the educational requirements for BME and Medical Physics?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in BME or a related field such as mechanical engineering is required for entry-level positions in BME. Medical Physics, on the other hand, usually requires a graduate degree in Medical Physics or a related field, such as physics or engineering. Some states also require a license to practice as a Medical Physicist.

4. Which field has a higher salary potential?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for biomedical engineers in 2020 was $95,090, while the median annual wage for medical physicists was $128,850. However, salary potential can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry.

5. Can I switch between BME and Medical Physics?

While both fields have overlapping principles and skills, they are distinct disciplines with different focuses. Therefore, switching between BME and Medical Physics may require additional education or training. However, it is not uncommon for professionals to have experience or education in both areas, especially in research and development roles.