Smooth slope - A level question.

In summary, this person is a high school student who is determined to get straight A's in all of their classes this month. They have a math, science, mechanics, and physics background which will help them achieve this. They also have a scanner set up so they will be adding pictures to questions as needed.
DeanBH
I have a question that i am struggling to come to terms with. I know how to get the answer but i am not 100% sure why what i am doing works.

The question :

A smooth plane is inclined at X degrees to the horizontal.
A block of mass 5KG is held at rest on the plane by a horizontal force of magnitude 168N.

Find :
Angle X
The force on Normal on the block.

Ok, so far i have this.

i separated the horizontal force of 168N into a force horizontal and a force parralel to the plane.

Horizontal : 168CosX = 5gsinX
parallel : N = mgcosX + 168sin X

Now somehow, and this is the part i do not understand 100%

you get to the equation

5gcosX=168cosX
sinX/cosX=168/5g
tanX=168/5g

so then X is the tan^-1 of (168/5g).

and then you put it back in the parallel equation to find N, the normal.

Can someone explain to me how you come about reaching these equations :

5gcosX=168cosX
sinX/cosX=168/5g
tanX=168/5g

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Compare this:
DeanBH said:
Horizontal : 168CosX = 5gsinX
To these:
5gcosX=168cosX
sinX/cosX=168/5g
tanX=168/5g
The first of these equations has a typo. But these are all restatements and rearrangements of your original equation for horizontal (parallel to the incline) equilibrium.

Or are you asking how one does the algebraic steps?

Doc Al said:
Compare this:

To these:

The first of these equations has a typo. But these are all restatements and rearrangements of your original equation for horizontal (parallel to the incline) equilibrium.

Or are you asking how one does the algebraic steps?

oops 5gcosX=168cosX meant to be 5gsinX=168cosX,

typo confused myself, that's why i had written down.

no wonder i didnt know how i got that, its not possible :P NVM =) thanks for having the sense to point that out though. lol.

btw : OT

im currently sitting Maths, mechanics and physics at AS level in 6th form.
This was a question from mechanics, but there is similar things in physics 1.

on about the 16th of may i have lots of exams, i have all re-sits from january because i did terrible.

Maths : E
Physics : U

so now i have maths 1, maths 2, mechanics 1, physics 1 and physics 2.

i also have ict 1 and 2, and economics 1 but they are less of a worry to me.

I'm determined to get an A in everything i sit, so I'm going to do nothing but revise for this month and ensure that i get A's. The simple fact is, if you do this physics a lot, you will get an A, no real intelligence involved at this level.

so thanks for the help i will be asking a lot more questions, glad there's people like you to point out my stupid mistakes 8D. I also have a scanner set up so I'm likely to be adding pictures to questions i CBA to explain.

lolthx

1. What is a smooth slope?

A smooth slope is a gradual change in elevation over a horizontal distance. It is a gentle slope that does not have any sharp changes or steep sections.

2. How is a smooth slope different from a steep slope?

A smooth slope is characterized by a gradual change in elevation, while a steep slope has a more sudden and steep change in elevation. Smooth slopes are easier to traverse and are often found in hilly or rolling landscapes, while steep slopes are typically found in mountainous areas.

3. What factors affect the smoothness of a slope?

The smoothness of a slope is affected by several factors, including the type of material the slope is made of (such as soil or rock), the angle of the slope, and the presence of any vegetation or other obstructions on the slope.

4. How is the smoothness of a slope measured?

The smoothness of a slope is typically measured by its gradient, which is the change in elevation over the horizontal distance. A lower gradient indicates a smoother slope, while a higher gradient indicates a steeper slope.

5. What are some examples of real-world applications of smooth slopes?

Smooth slopes are commonly found in hiking and biking trails, as they are easier to navigate and do not require as much effort to climb. They are also used in road construction, where steep slopes can be hazardous for vehicles. In agriculture, smooth slopes are preferred for crop cultivation as they allow for better drainage and erosion control.