Does Light Have Mass? Friend Debate

• Thread starter offtheleft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Mass
In summary, according to this FAQ, the relativistic mass of a photon is defined as the m in p = mv. This is different from the "proper" or "invariant" mass, which is just the mass of the particle without taking into account its momentum.
offtheleft
funny little topic a friend and i were on. i think it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
offtheleft said:
Yes. Light does have mass. But we need to qualify that by providing the definition of mass as I have just used it. The term mass (as used here) is defined as the m in p = mv. When defined as such this mass is more precisley know as inertial mass. There is another definition which is also used quite a lot. If you have a point particle and you measure the inertial energy to be E and the magnitude of the momentum to be p then the quantity m0 in the expression

E2 - (pc)2 = m02c4

is referred to as the proper mass of the particle. The proper mass is related to its inertial mass buy

[itex]m = \gamma m_0[/itex]

When it is said that the mass of a photons is zero it is because the energy of a photon is related to its momentum by E = pc. Substituting this value into the expression above imples that m0 = 0.

So if you want a definitive answer to your question you have to first state what you mean by the term mass.

Pete

offtheleft said:

Please read the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Please read the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.
The FAQ asserts that the relativistic mass is defined as [itex]m = \gamma m_0[/itex] whereas relativistic mass is defined as the m in p = mv. This is an important difference.

Pete

offtheleft said:
An interesting thing is that a beam of light has no mass (I'm only referring to "proper" or "invariant" mass, which is what is usually called simply "mass"), while light propagating simultaneously and isotropically in all directions DOES have mass!

GRB 080319B said:
Search 'does light/photons have mass' on this website and you should find the answer in one of the multitude of threads on this question. Or you can go to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon#Physical_properties".

There is a new relativity FAQ on the notion of relativistic mass. Its located at

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

There is also another FAQ on this topic at

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/photon_mass.html

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Does light have mass?

This question has been debated by scientists for centuries. According to the theory of relativity, light does not have mass. However, some scientists argue that it does have a very small amount of mass. The current consensus is that light has no mass.

2. How can light have no mass?

Light is composed of particles called photons, which are massless. These particles travel at the speed of light and have no rest mass. The energy of a photon is related to its frequency and wavelength, but not its mass.

3. Can light be affected by gravity if it has no mass?

Yes, even though light has no mass, it can still be affected by gravity. This is because gravity affects the fabric of space-time, and light travels through space-time. Therefore, light can be bent by massive objects like stars or black holes.

4. Why do some scientists believe that light has mass?

Some scientists believe that light may have a very small amount of mass because of the observed behavior of light in certain situations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects could be explained by the idea that light has a tiny amount of mass. However, this is still a topic of debate and has not been proven.

5. Does the concept of light having mass affect our understanding of the universe?

The idea of light having mass has been explored in various theories, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics. However, the current understanding is that light has no mass, and this does not significantly impact our understanding of the universe. It is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.