Matrix Invertibility: RREF to Identity

In summary, to prove that a matrix A is invertible, we must consider what would make it invertible and what would happen if its reduced row echelon form is not the identity matrix. A row operation on a matrix translates to a matrix multiplication, and the matrices corresponding to the row operations must reduce A to the identity matrix in order for it to be invertible. On the other hand, if the reduced row echelon form has a row of zeros, the determinant would be 0 and the matrix would not be invertible. There may be other ways to prove this, but this is one possible approach.
mathwizarddud
Prove that a matrix A is invertible if and only if its reduced row echelon row is the identity matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org

Even though I was never taught linear algebra fully, to do this problem I would consider what would make the matrix A invertible and what would it mean if the RRE form wasn't the identity matrix.

But I am not sure if that would be a valid proof.

This isn't too hard to prove. You can start by asking yourself what a row operation on a matrix translates to in matrix algebra. And what do the matrices corresponding to the row-operations amount to when they row-reduce A to I?

As for the "forward" conjecture, well I can think of something some might find objectionable. If it does not row-reduce A to I, it the RRE form has a row of zeros. That means that the determinant is 0 and hence it is not invertible. I'm sure there's a better way to do this.

1. What is the purpose of transforming a matrix to reduced row echelon form (RREF)?

The purpose of transforming a matrix to RREF is to simplify the matrix and make it easier to perform calculations on it. It also helps to identify important properties of the matrix, such as its rank and invertibility.

2. How do I know if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if and only if its RREF form is the identity matrix. In other words, if all the leading entries in each row are 1 and all other entries in the same column are 0, then the matrix is invertible.

3. Can a non-square matrix be invertible?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be invertible. In order to be invertible, a matrix must have the same number of rows and columns.

4. What is the relationship between the inverse of a matrix and its RREF form?

The inverse of a matrix is closely related to its RREF form. The inverse is found by performing the same row operations on the identity matrix that were used to transform the original matrix to RREF.

5. Why is it important to know if a matrix is invertible?

Knowing if a matrix is invertible is important because it allows us to solve equations and perform other calculations involving that matrix. Invertible matrices have many useful properties and are essential in many areas of mathematics and science.