Power Voltage Current: Ohm's Law & Decreasing Power Loss

In summary, according to Ohm's law, increasing voltage will increase the current, but according to the power formula, P=VxI. So if you want to increase the amount of power being delivered to a house, you need to decrease the voltage.
grandia3
hello, I'm new here =D
dunno if this is the right section to ask this
I'm really confused about power voltage and current

according to ohm's law, V = I x R
therefore if we increase voltage, the current will increase

but according to the power formula, P = V x I
they say increasing voltage to deliver electricity to houses, will decrease the current therefore decreasing the power loss along the way
as the resistance across the wire will not change (at least not significant) therefore it still follow the ohm's law

how can this be possible?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From Ohm's law and P=VI

Powerloss,P=I2R. Usually they transfer electricity at high voltage/low current. Low current=> Low powerloss in a given resistance.
High Current=> High powerloss in a given resistance.

It's more feasible to transfer it at high voltage/low current. It doesn't mean that because V is high will mean that I will be low, power companies could just transfer it at high voltage/high current. But that won't be good.

hmm that means that the power company can control both the voltage and the current transferred?

that does make sense =D

thanks

I'm not too sure of the extent to which they can control it, I think it's only high voltage/high current OR low voltage/high current they can transfer it in. Ignore the high voltage/high current part.

You could also check the formula for the ideal transformer where

[tex]\frac{V_s}{V_p}=\frac{I_i}{I_s}[/tex]

Where Ip=Current in the primary circuit
Is= Current in secondary circuit.
Vp=Voltage in the primary circuit
etc.

The ratio of Vs/Vp is constant such that if Vs is high it means that Is would be low and so forth

You're just mixing scenarios, that's all. They are different equations for different situations.

If you have a light and you vary the voltage (assuming you don't burn it out), you can use both equations and you'll find that you get more current and therefore more power as the voltage increases.

But the power company doesn't want to vary the voltage at your house, they want to keep it at 120, but design a system that loses less along the way. So the power is fixed as a matter of practicality. So when they design the transmission lines and can choose the voltage they want, they pick a higher voltage to lower the amperage and decrease the IR2 losses. But that doesn't mean the power increases: at your house, you still get 120V.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. What is the relationship between power, voltage, and current?

The relationship between power, voltage, and current is described by Ohm's Law. Power is equal to the product of voltage and current, so as either voltage or current increases, power also increases. Additionally, when voltage and current are held constant, power is inversely proportional to resistance.

3. How does decreasing power loss affect an electrical circuit?

Decreasing power loss in an electrical circuit can improve its efficiency and reduce energy waste. This can result in cost savings and longer lifespan for the components in the circuit. Additionally, decreasing power loss can also reduce the risk of overheating and potential hazards.

4. What factors contribute to power loss in an electrical circuit?

Power loss in an electrical circuit can be caused by factors such as high resistance, poor connections, and excessive heat. These can result in energy being converted into heat instead of being used to power the intended device or appliance.

5. How can power loss be reduced in an electrical circuit?

Power loss in an electrical circuit can be reduced by using components with lower resistance, ensuring proper connections, and implementing measures to prevent overheating. Additionally, regularly maintaining and updating the circuit can also help reduce power loss and improve efficiency.