Hydrogen Fuel Cells: Ups Backup Source Experience

In summary, fuel cells could be a good backup power source for UPSs, but there are some safety concerns that need to be addressed.
jtweedie@atdesk.com
Does anyone have any hands on expierence with Hydrogen fuel cells used as the backup source on UPSs.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have plenty of experience with fuel cells, but not particularly as a backup for a UPS. Do you have a specific question?

- Warren

Are there specific fire codes that have to be met for a US installation?
Do the fuel cells go bad?
What Kind of heat load do they generate?
What is the product of the chemical reaction, and do the cells have to be placed in a well ventilated area?
What is your experience and what are the pos and neg of fuel cells?
How do Wet Cells and Fuel cells compare to each other?
What maintenance do the fuel cells require?
What temperature range do they need to kept in.
How does temperature effect their discharge or does it?

I read a interesting article about a large UPS manufacturer and a fuel cell manufacturer collaborating to use fuel cell technology for rack mounted ups's.

Jason

jtweedie@atdesk.com said:
Are there specific fire codes that have to be met for a US installation?
I don't know, I'm not a civil engineer.
Do the fuel cells go bad?
I'll assume we're discussing only proton-exchange membrance cells from now on. Yes, they can go bad, if the membrane is allowed to dry out, or if liquid water is injected into the cell.
What Kind of heat load do they generate?
Fuel cells are roughly 50-60% efficient.
What is the product of the chemical reaction, and do the cells have to be placed in a well ventilated area?
The only chemicals produced are pure water. On the other hand, some hydrogen can sneak out even from recirculating setups, so yes, you need hydrogen sensors and a good ventilation system.
What is your experience and what are the pos and neg of fuel cells?
Pro: efficiency.
Cons: dangerous reactants, cost, complexity of apparatus.
How do Wet Cells and Fuel cells compare to each other?
A wet cell is an ordinary Energizer battery. I don't think I really need to describe the difference.
What maintenance do the fuel cells require?
Ideally, none. In reality, it's probably the supporting apparatus that will need the most maintenance.
What temperature range do they need to kept in.
Most cells operate at about the 90 degree celsius mark.
How does temperature effect their discharge or does it?
That's a complex question; the effect depends quite a bit on the geometry and design.

- Warren

1. What are hydrogen fuel cells and how do they work?

Hydrogen fuel cells are devices that convert the chemical energy of hydrogen and oxygen into electricity. They work by separating the positively charged hydrogen ions and the negatively charged electrons, and forcing the electrons to flow through an external circuit, creating an electric current. The hydrogen ions then combine with oxygen to form water, the only byproduct of this process.

2. How do hydrogen fuel cells compare to traditional batteries as an energy source?

Hydrogen fuel cells have several advantages over traditional batteries as an energy source. They have a higher energy density, meaning they can store more energy in the same volume. They also have a longer lifespan and can be refueled much faster than traditional batteries. However, they are currently more expensive to produce and require a supply of hydrogen to function.

3. What are the potential benefits of using hydrogen fuel cells as backup power sources?

Hydrogen fuel cells have the potential to provide a reliable and sustainable source of backup power. They produce no emissions and are not dependent on external factors like weather or access to electricity grids. They also have a longer lifespan than traditional backup power systems, reducing the need for frequent replacement and maintenance.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using hydrogen fuel cells as backup power sources?

One of the main limitations of hydrogen fuel cells for backup power is the need for a steady supply of hydrogen. This can be difficult to ensure in remote or disaster-prone areas. Additionally, the production and transportation of hydrogen can be expensive. There are also safety concerns surrounding the handling and storage of hydrogen, as it is a highly flammable gas.

5. How are hydrogen fuel cells being used as backup power sources in real-world applications?

Hydrogen fuel cells are currently being used as backup power sources in various industries, including telecommunications, data centers, and healthcare facilities. They are also being integrated into renewable energy systems to provide backup power during times of low energy production. In the future, the use of hydrogen fuel cells as backup power sources is expected to increase as technology advances and the cost of production decreases.