Find the General Solution to Differential Equation X2y'=y2+3xy+X2

In summary, if y=-x(ln|x|+c+1), y'=-(ln|x|+ c+1)-1. Integrating these equations gives v= -\frac{1}{ln|x|+ C} and y= -x-\frac{x}{ln|x|+ C}.
franky2727
starting with question of find the general sollution of the differential equation

X2y'=y2+3xy+X2 would an acceptable answer be y=-x(ln|x|+c+1) i would show all my working but my camera isn't working so i'll save you must the trouble and just skip to a part that i know is correct where dx/x=(v+1)-2dv

where v=y/x. thanks in advance i think its right just want a second oppinion before plowing it into an exam

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation. Is 'X' different from 'x'?

no just a bit daft with the caps lock button

franky2727 said:
starting with question of find the general sollution of the differential equation

X2y'=y2+3xy+X2 would an acceptable answer be y=-x(ln|x|+c+1) i would show all my working but my camera isn't working so i'll save you must the trouble and just skip to a part that i know is correct where dx/x=(v+1)-2dv

where v=y/x. thanks in advance i think its right just want a second oppinion before plowing it into an exam

Well, if y= y=-x(ln|x|+c+1), then y'= -(ln|x|+ c+1)- 1. Putting those into the differential equation, x2y'=y2+3xy+x2 would give you x2(-ln|x|+ c+ 1)- 1)= (ln|x|+ c+ 1)2+ 3x(-ln|x|+ c+ 1)+ x2. Since the right side is clearly going to involve "(ln|x|)2", I don't see how those are going to be equal.

I suspect you have integrated incorrectly. Yes, this is a homogenous equation and the substitution v= y/x gives
[tex]\frac{dv}{(v+1)^2}= \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
Integrating both sides of that gives
[tex]-\frac{1}{v+1}= ln|x|+ C[/tex]
so
[tex]v+1= -\frac{1}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{x}= -1-\frac{1}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]
[tex]y= -x-\frac{x}{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]

I worked it out and did not get the same answer as you did. ln(x)+c is supposed to be the denominator of some fraction in y.

got it now, was just checking more to see if it would be acceptible to leave logs and things in the answer but made an error in the question

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model various physical, biological, and economic phenomena.

2. What does X2y' mean in the equation?

X2y' represents the derivative of the function y with respect to x, multiplied by the variable X squared.

3. How do I find the general solution to this differential equation?

To find the general solution, you will need to use methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to solve the equation and find the general form of the solution. You may also need to use initial or boundary conditions to determine specific solutions.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, many graphing calculators have built-in functions for solving differential equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve the equation, rather than solely relying on a calculator.

5. What is the significance of finding the general solution to a differential equation?

The general solution allows us to find all possible solutions to the differential equation, rather than just a single solution. This is important because many real-world problems have multiple solutions, and the general solution helps us to understand the behavior and patterns of the solutions.