Pretty simple distance traveled given acceleration problem

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an online physics homework problem involving a bicyclist accelerating from a green light. The student is unsure why their answer is being marked wrong and asks for help. They are then directed to a link with formulas for 1 dimensional kinematic problems.
BC2210

Homework Statement

Hey, I am not sure why I can't get the right answer for my online physics homework, it keeps telling me the answer I am putting is wrong! My question is:

The light turns green, and a bicyclist starts forward with an acceleration of 1.0 m/s^2. How far must she travel to reach a speed of 7.8 m/s?

I think I am going about figuring it out the wrong way...

Thanks for any help! :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
BC2210 said:

Homework Statement

Hey, I am not sure why I can't get the right answer for my online physics homework, it keeps telling me the answer I am putting is wrong! My question is:

The light turns green, and a bicyclist starts forward with an acceleration of 1.0 m/s^2. How far must she travel to reach a speed of 7.8 m/s?

I think I am going about figuring it out the wrong way...

Thanks for any help! :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a link to formulas relating 1 dimensional kinematic problems with distance, time velocity and acceleration. Look at these formulas and think about which may apply for your problem.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Awesome thank you...ill see what i come up with

What is the formula for calculating distance traveled given acceleration?

The formula for calculating distance traveled given acceleration is d = ½at^2, where d is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

How is acceleration related to distance?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that the greater the acceleration, the faster the change in velocity, and therefore the greater the distance traveled.

What units are used to measure acceleration and distance?

Acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2), while distance is measured in meters (m).

Can acceleration affect the direction of motion?

Yes, acceleration can affect the direction of motion. If the acceleration and initial velocity are in opposite directions, the object will slow down and eventually change direction. If they are in the same direction, the object will speed up.

How can I use this formula in real life?

This formula can be used to calculate the distance traveled by a car during a certain time interval, the distance traveled by a projectile, or the distance traveled by a roller coaster. It can also be used in sports, such as calculating the distance traveled by a baseball after being hit by a bat.