Permutation symbol - indicial notation

In summary, the problem is attempting to understand indicial notation and the solution is to explain the very fundamental property of squaring an expression with indices.
Dafe
1. The problem statement and attempt at solution

Hey, I'm still trying to get my head around indicial notation. I'm finding it quite hard..

21.jpg

I think this is somewhat right, but I don't know if the answer is clear enough..

Any hints/comments are greatly appretiated!

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if we knew what [itex]\theta[/itex] was! The angle between [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex]?

I think you need to add two things:
1) How you got from [itex](a_i\hat{e}_i\times b_j\hat{e}_j)^2[/itex] to [itex]a_i^2b_j^2(\epsilon_{ijk})^2\hat{e}_k[/itex]

2) Why [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex] is equal to [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]

Something important to note is that when you square an expression with indices, you can't re-use any of the "dummy" indices (i.e. the ones you sum over). You have to write out the second factor using different symbols for the dummy indices. You can't just raise everything to the power 2.
e.g. If you take the square of
[tex]v_i = \epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k[/tex]
you get
[tex]v_i^2 = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k)(\epsilon_{imn}a_m b_n)[/tex]
You CANNOT write
[tex]v_i^2 = (\epsilon_{ijk})^2(a_j)^2( b_k)^2[/tex]
Write the summations out in full for a small example and you'll see that this is true.

Last edited:
Pacopag:
you write that:
[tex]
v_i = \epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k
[/tex]

Does:

[tex] (\epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k) = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_i b_j)[/tex] ?

As for me not changing the indices when I took the square, that's exactly what I did :redface:

Thank you!

[tex] (\epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k) = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_i b_j)[/tex] ?
No. On the left hand side you are implying a summation over the repeated indices j and k. On the right hand side you are implying summation over i and j. This is not the same thing. Furthermore, in
[tex] v_i = \epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k [/tex],
since i is not repeated in the left hand side, you are implying that i is fixed.
Do a google on the Einstein summation convention for more information.

[tex]
v_i^2 = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k)(\epsilon_{imn}a_m b_n)
[/tex]

[tex] \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{imn}=\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}-\delta_{jn}\delta_{km} [/tex]

[tex] (\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}-\delta_{jn}\delta_{km})(a_ja_mb_kb_n) [/tex]

[tex] a_ja_jb_kb_k - a_ja_kb_kb_j = a_j^2b_k^2 - a_ja_kb_kb_j [/tex]

I'm so incredibly stuck :uhh:

Dafe said:
[tex]
v_i^2 = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_j b_k)(\epsilon_{imn}a_m b_n)
[/tex]

[tex] \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{imn}=\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}-\delta_{jn}\delta_{km} [/tex]

[tex] (\delta_{jm}\delta_{kn}-\delta_{jn}\delta_{km})(a_ja_mb_kb_n) [/tex]
[tex]= (\delta_{jm}a_j)(\delta_{kn}b_n)a_mb_n- (\delta_{jn}a_j)(\delta_{km}a_m)b_kb_n[/tex]
[tex]a_ma_m b_nb_n- a_na_kb_kb_n= a^2b^2- (a\cdot b)^2[/tex]

[tex] a_ja_jb_kb_k - a_ja_kb_kb_j = a_j^2b_k^2 - a_ja_kb_kb_j [/tex]

I'm so incredibly stuck :uhh:

[itex]a_na_n[/itex] is a sum. It is equal to [itex]|a|^2[/itex] not [itex]a_n^2[/itex].

Alright, I get that but am still not able to solve the problem
Think I'll call it quits for now and do a bit more reading.
Looks like my head isn't ready for this yet :p

Thanks a lot though!

I notice that you still haven't told us what [itex]\theta[/itex] is. If it is, in fact, the angle between [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex], and you are using a and b to denote the lengths of those two vectors, then you probably want to use the very fundamental property that [itex]\vec{a}\times\vec{b}= ab sin(\theta)[/itex].

Oh sorry, I totally forgot. Yes, theta is the angle between a and b.

v = (a x b) = [tex] (a_je_j x b_ke_k) = absin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex] v_i = (\epsilon_{ijk}a_jb_k)=absin(\theta) [/tex]

[tex] v_i^2 = (\epsilon_{ijk})^2a_j^2b_k^2=a^2b^2sin^2(\theta) [/tex]

:redface:

What is the permutation symbol or indicial notation?

The permutation symbol or indicial notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the order of a set of numbers or objects. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the properties of tensors and vectors.

What is the difference between permutation symbol and indicial notation?

The permutation symbol and indicial notation are essentially the same concept, but they are used in different contexts. The permutation symbol is commonly used in combinatorics to describe the order of a set of numbers or objects, while indicial notation is used in higher mathematics and physics to represent the components of tensors and vectors.

How is the permutation symbol or indicial notation used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the permutation symbol or indicial notation is used to represent the order of a set of numbers or objects. It is commonly used in combinatorics, group theory, and linear algebra to describe the properties of permutations, matrices, and tensors.

What are the rules for using the permutation symbol or indicial notation?

There are a few rules for using the permutation symbol or indicial notation. Firstly, the numbers or objects being permuted must be distinct. Secondly, the order of the numbers or objects must be specified. Lastly, the permutation symbol or indicial notation follows the convention of using subscripts to represent the order of the numbers or objects.

What are the applications of the permutation symbol or indicial notation?

The permutation symbol or indicial notation has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in combinatorics to study permutations and combinations, in group theory to describe symmetry operations, and in linear algebra to represent the components of tensors and vectors. It is also used in theoretical physics to describe the properties of physical systems.