Combining H2 and O - What Happens?

• Thread starter pacaderm
  • Start date
In summary, combining hydrogen and oxygen in the presence of a heat source can result in an explosion.
pacaderm
Hello All,
My question is;
If you have separated H2 and O in gaseous form, then combine them at atmos press, what happens?
If combined in the pressence of a heat source what happens?
Thanks in advance,
Randy

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. When you combine hydrogen and oxygen, that's combustion. They burn and the waste product is water. Though the activation energy isn't too high, it does exist, so there must be a heat source present to make it happen. Not all combustion reactions require a heat source (above ambient), though. Rusting metal is basically a very slow combustion reaction.

No such thing as free O, oxygen is diatomic, just like hydrogen - so it is O2.

this was an experiment they showed me back in high school.

A clean paint can was used:

2 holes were cut, one into the base and one into the lid. Hydrogen from a hydrogen generator was piped in via the base until the can was considered full (the H2 supply was shut-off then removed). the gas emerging from the hole in the lid was then ignited.

When the ratio of H2 to O2 reaches 2:1 there was a rather large explosion and the teacher spent the remainder of the lesson retrieving the paint can lid from the ceiling tile it was embedded in.

If you wish to do this experiment, you will need to be vary careful in order to avoid the inevitable lawsuits, accusations of terrorism etc., which will arise from any mishaps.

So i make the assumption that, (2)H2 + 02 ~> (2)H2O + ? + heat.
Also, H2 + O2 at atmos press does not spontaneously combust, an ignition source is required.
And a question, When comparisons are made between gasoline and H2 there is a ratio of one gallon of gas is equal to one litre of H2 in energy, is the litre gaseous or liquid?
PS thanks for the welcome!

For sure not gaseous.

Somehow I find this comparison hard to believe, but that's just a gut feeling.

Trust your gut feeling!

Wikipedia has combustion energies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

Hydrogen's combustion energy per unit of mass is a little less than 4x that of gasoline. So that's probably where the '1 gallon of gas = 1 L of H2' came from...of course, whoever made that comparison did not consider that liquid H2 has a specific gravity of .07...

More or less that's what I expected, I was just too lazy to dig into the real numbers. Thank you for checking :blushing:

1. What happens when you combine H2 and O?

When H2 (hydrogen gas) and O (oxygen gas) are combined, they react to form H2O (water). This is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat.

2. Why do H2 and O react to form water?

H2 and O react to form water because they have a strong chemical bond. Oxygen has a high electronegativity, meaning it attracts electrons strongly, while hydrogen has a low electronegativity. This creates a polar covalent bond between the two atoms, allowing them to combine.

3. Is the reaction between H2 and O exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between H2 and O is exothermic, meaning it releases heat. This is because the chemical bonds formed in water are more stable than the bonds in hydrogen and oxygen gas, resulting in a release of energy.

4. Can H2 and O be separated after they have combined?

Yes, H2O can be separated back into H2 and O through a process called electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through water, breaking the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen.

5. What are some practical applications of combining H2 and O?

The reaction between H2 and O to form water has many practical applications. It is used in fuel cells to produce electricity, in the production of rocket fuel, and in the production of hydrogen gas for various industrial processes. It is also a key component in photosynthesis, the process by which plants convert sunlight into energy.