Lens and Focal Length Practice Problems

In summary: Draw a figure showing the spider, lens, and wall.Label the distances corresponding to p and q. And indicate the 1.80 m distance also.The relation should become apparent.
Suavez

Homework Statement

A 2.0-cm-diameter spider is 1.80 m from a wall.

A. Determine the focal length of a lens that will make a half-size image of the spider on the wall.

B. Determine the position (measured from the wall) of a lens that will make a half-size image of the spider on the wall.

Homework Equations

(1/p) + (1/q) = (1/f)

m = (-q/p)

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't figure out where to start. I understand that the magnification should be (-.05) but then I can't use that equation because I don't know the original focal length. Would 1.80 m be the image distance? I wish the problem would have provided more information!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.80m is not the image distance, it's the distance from the spider to the wall.

And the lens will be somewhere in between the spider and wall.

You can use that information to come up with another equation involving p and q.

p.s. welcome to PF.

Redbelly98 said:
1.80m is not the image distance, it's the distance from the spider to the wall.

And the lens will be somewhere in between the spider and wall.

You can use that information to come up with another equation involving p and q.

p.s. welcome to PF.

lol Thanks for welcoming me. The things you stated were the immediate obvious things in my head but I suppose my question should have been, "What is that equation?" The problem says that the distance given is from the spider to the wall. Where to from there?

Draw a figure showing the spider, lens, and wall.

Label the distances corresponding to p and q. And indicate the 1.80 m distance also.

The relation should become apparent.

Redbelly98 said:
Draw a figure showing the spider, lens, and wall.

Label the distances corresponding to p and q. And indicate the 1.80 m distance also.

The relation should become apparent.

The lens needs to be 0.9 m from the wall? My logic here is 0.5 of the total distance and the magnification is -0.5. If I am correct for this position to produce a half-size image of the spider, what will the focal point have to be for the lens? 0.9 m as well?

Suavez said:
The lens needs to be 0.9 m from the wall?

No. That would put the lens halfway between the spider and the wall, which means p=q and m=-1.

p+q=____?

Redbelly98 said:
No. That would put the lens halfway between the spider and the wall, which means p=q and m=-1.

p+q=____?

Damn, I'm lost. What is the relevence of p+q? My next choice would have been to position the lens 1.35 m away from the from the spider (3/4 of the total distance).

Did you draw the figure as I suggested in post #4?

That was the first thing I did for the problem.

I have another problem I'm having some issues with titled "Undefined Angle of Incidence." Any suggestions for that one? I have to submit this take-home exam in 30 minutes and these are the last two problems giving me trouble. I understand things a lot more clearly when I see the broken-down solution and then try another on my own. I'm really lost for these two.

What is a lens and how does it work?

A lens is a transparent material, often made of glass or plastic, that is used to focus or bend light rays. It works by refracting or bending light as it passes through the lens, creating an image that is either magnified or reduced in size.

What is focal length and how does it affect an image?

Focal length is the distance from the center of a lens to the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image. It affects the magnification and angle of view of an image, with shorter focal lengths producing wider angles and longer focal lengths producing narrower angles.

What is the difference between a prime lens and a zoom lens?

A prime lens has a fixed focal length and cannot zoom in or out, while a zoom lens has a variable focal length and can be adjusted to different magnifications. Prime lenses tend to have better image quality, while zoom lenses offer more versatility in terms of focal lengths.

How do I choose the right focal length for my photography needs?

The right focal length for your photography needs depends on the type of photography you are doing. For landscapes and wide-angle shots, a shorter focal length is recommended, while for portraits and close-up shots, a longer focal length is preferred. It is also important to consider the crop factor of your camera when choosing a focal length.

Can I change the focal length of my lens?

Some lenses, such as zoom lenses, allow you to change the focal length by physically adjusting the lens. Other lenses, like prime lenses, have a fixed focal length and cannot be changed. However, you can use accessories such as teleconverters to increase the focal length of a lens.