Linear and angular spring simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses implementing a simulation of a point mass connected to a linear and angular spring. The equations for the forces in polar coordinates are given, but it is realized that they are not correct as they are independent of each other. It is suggested to calculate the motion in Cartesian coordinates or correctly calculate the acceleration components in polar coordinates. The correct equations for the forces are then derived and it is mentioned that pseudo forces must be added in a rotating coordinate system to consider the system as inertial.
account
Hello,

I am trying to implement a simple simulation of a point mass connected to a linear and to an angular spring. I thought this would be very easy, basically just integrating these two equations:

[tex]mr''=-k_l(r-L)-c_lr'[/tex]
[tex]m\theta''=-k_a(\theta-\alpha)-c_a\theta'[/tex]

These are in polar coordinates [tex](r,\theta)[/tex], where [tex]k_l,c_l,L[/tex] are the stiffness, damping coefficient and rest length of the linear spring and [tex]k_a,c_a,\alpha[/tex] - of the angular spring.

It looks like it works correctly but then I realized that it is wrong. For example, with initial conditions [tex]r'(0)=0,r(0)=L[/tex] the point will never change its distance from the origin no matter what the angular speed is, so there is no centrifugal force... This is obvious in hindsight because the two equations are completely independent.

So now I'm stuck and not really sure what I'm missing here. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could calculate motion in Cartesian coordinate system (x,y). You can still calculate the force in polar coordinate system and then transform it to Cartesian.

It is also possible to calculate in polar coordinates, but one must correctly calculate
acceleration componets in radial and tangential direction. In this case you start with
position vector (rcos(fi),rsin(fi)), take a second time derivative and then split it into radial and tangential component. Since polar coordinates are not straight, an expression with second time derivative of fi (centrifugal force) also appears in r component of force and an expression with time derivative of r (Coriolis force) appears in fi component of force.

I have the answer to this (I think) I solved it using Laplace transforms. It's a loooong answer though, so email me if you want the equations. brian.kernan@gmail.com

Lojzek said:
You could calculate motion in Cartesian coordinate system (x,y). You can still calculate the force in polar coordinate system and then transform it to Cartesian.

I prefer to calculate in polar coordinates because there is a problem with calculating [tex]\theta[/tex] only from [tex](x,y)[/tex]. For example if I use [tex]\theta=\mbox{atan2}(y,x)[/tex] then if there is any oscillation outside of [tex][-\pi,\pi][/tex] the angle will wrap around and strange things happen.

Lojzek said:
It is also possible to calculate in polar coordinates, but one must correctly calculate acceleration componets in radial and tangential direction. In this case you start with position vector (rcos(fi),rsin(fi)), take a second time derivative and then split it into radial and tangential component. Since polar coordinates are not straight, an expression with second time derivative of fi (centrifugal force) also appears in r component of force and an expression with time derivative of r (Coriolis force) appears in fi component of force.

Ok, I just tried that. If I understand correctly I should write:

[tex]p=r(\cos \theta,\sin \theta)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{p}=r(-\sin \theta,\cos \theta)[/tex]
[tex]mp''=(-k_l(r-L)-c_lr')\frac{p}{r}+(-k_a(\theta-\alpha)-c_a\theta')\frac{\hat{p}}{r}[/tex]

Solving these for the forces I get the following equations:

[tex]m(r''-r\theta'^2)=-k_l(r-L)-c_lr'[/tex]
[tex]m(r\theta''+2r'\theta')=-k_a(\theta-\alpha)-c_a\theta'[/tex]

I implemented these and it seems to work correctly now. Does this look correct to you?

kernanb said:
I have the answer to this (I think) I solved it using Laplace transforms. It's a loooong answer though, so email me if you want the equations. brian.kernan@gmail.com

I wrote to you about this. I'm waiting for your reply and I will try to summarize it and post it here. Thanks.

account said:
Solving these for the forces I get the following equations:

[tex]m(r''-r\theta'^2)=-k_l(r-L)-c_lr'[/tex]
[tex]m(r\theta''+2r'\theta')=-k_a(\theta-\alpha)-c_a\theta'[/tex]
These equations are correct. If would you put [tex]m(-r\theta'^2)[/tex] to the other side of
the first equation, you would get centrifugal force. Similary you can get Coriolis force if you put [tex]m(2r'\theta')[/tex] to the other side of the second equation. These two pseudo forces must be added in a rotating coordinate system (with angular velocity [tex]\theta'[/tex]) if one wants to consider the system to be inertial.

1. What is the difference between linear and angular spring simulation?

Linear spring simulation models the behavior of a linear spring, which has a linear relationship between the applied force and the resulting displacement. Angular spring simulation, on the other hand, models the behavior of an angular spring, which has a rotational relationship between the applied torque and the resulting angle of rotation.

2. How is linear and angular spring simulation used in scientific research?

Linear and angular spring simulation is used in scientific research to model the behavior of springs in various mechanical systems. This allows researchers to predict and analyze how these systems will behave under different conditions, and to make improvements or modifications to optimize their performance.

3. What factors affect the behavior of linear and angular springs in simulation?

The behavior of linear and angular springs in simulation is affected by various factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the applied force or torque, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and any external forces or torques acting on the system.

4. How can I validate the accuracy of my linear and angular spring simulation?

To validate the accuracy of a linear and angular spring simulation, you can compare the results of the simulation to real-world data from experiments or observations. This can help identify any discrepancies and allow for adjustments to be made to improve the accuracy of the simulation.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear and angular spring simulation?

Like any simulation, there are limitations to using linear and angular spring simulation. These include simplifying assumptions made in the model, such as neglecting factors like friction or air resistance, and the accuracy of the model being dependent on the quality of the input data and equations used.