Help with Parabola Homework: Determine Equation of Parabola

• Thread starter Blueberry91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, The ball is served from a height of 2m and travels 20m horizontally before hitting the ground. It follows a parabolic path and reaches its highest point at 9m horizontally from where it was served. The equation of the parabola can be written as y-k=a(x-9)^2, and to solve for a and k, two equations can be formed using the known points of (0,2) and (20,0).
Blueberry91

Homework Statement

In an over hand serve, the ball starts from a point 2m above the ground and travels a horizontal distance of 20m before it strikes the floor.

The ball travels in a parbolic path and reaches its highest point after traveling a horizontal distance of 9m as show in the link below:

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=asdaq2.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7919/asdaq2.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img407/asdaq2.jpg/1/

Determine the equation of the parabola in the form y-k=a(x-9)^2

Homework Equations

y-k=a(x-h)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that the ball reaches its maximum height 9 feet from
where it was served. If we let x=0 be where the ball was served,
then we know the x coordinate of the vertex is 9, so the equation is
of the form

y-k=a(x-9)^2

To finish the equation precisely, I need to determine the values of
a and k. To do that, I need two equations relating the values of a
and k. But the given information provides with what I need to
write those two equations --I know the x and y values (1) where
the ball was served and (2) where it hit the ground.

but I'm still confused ! i could use some help:)
could somebody solve it for mee pleaaase??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

btw i missed the points on the Y axes
there's 0,10 and 20

the value 10 is aligned to the point V
does that mean that (9,k) V is equal to (9,10)
and so with the given value of k i just solve for the a value?
if so, i get a very awkward answer:S

Ok, so y-k=a(x-9)^2. You know x=0, y=2 and x=20, y=0 satisfy that equation. Doesn't that give you two equations in two unknowns k and a to solve? What are they?

Well i know that the ball reaches its maximum height 9 feet from
where it was served.
That would be 9 meters.

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is U-shaped and is commonly found in nature. It is a conic section, meaning it is created by intersecting a plane with a cone. In mathematics, a parabola is typically described by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

How do I determine the equation of a parabola?

To determine the equation of a parabola, you need to know the coordinates of three points on the curve. These points can be found by solving a system of equations using the coordinates of the parabola's vertex and two other points. Once you have the coordinates, you can plug them into the general parabola equation y = ax^2 + bx + c to find the values of a, b, and c.

What are the key features of a parabola?

The key features of a parabola include its vertex, focus, and directrix. The vertex is the highest or lowest point on the curve, depending on whether it opens up or down. The focus is a fixed point inside the parabola that is equidistant from all points on the curve. The directrix is a fixed line outside the parabola that is also equidistant from all points on the curve.

How do I graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you can use the coordinates of the vertex, focus, and directrix. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and then use the shape of the parabola to help you plot additional points. You can also use the general parabola equation to find the y-intercept and additional points on the curve.

What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and architecture. They can be used to model the path of a thrown object, such as a ball or projectile, or the shape of a satellite dish. They are also commonly used in the design of arches, bridges, and other structures that need to support weight in a specific way.