What is your writing process?

In summary, as a Computer or Electrical Engineer, writing is a significant part of my job. I write various types of communications, such as Functional Specs, Theory of Operation documents, Application Notes, and Manufacturing Test Specifications. I also write and give presentations at conferences and regularly communicate through email and my company's technical web forum. My readers include both internal company members and external customers. My writing process involves outlining, drafting, and receiving feedback from others before finalizing a document. I primarily use Microsoft Word and spend at least half of my job writing, with the majority of that time spent on emails. In addition to traditional writing, I also use various EE design tools for tasks such as drawing circuits and writing code.
madness006
Hi I need to Interview a Computer or Electrical Engineer for an assignment. If somebody could answer the following questions it would be much appreciated.

What type of communications do you write ( Proposals, instructions, memos, etc)?

What types of readers do you address?

What type of technology do you use to write?

How much time in your job do you spend writing?

How else does writing fit into your job?

Engineering news on Phys.org

madness006 said:
Hi I need to Interview a Computer or Electrical Engineer for an assignment. If somebody could answer the following questions it would be much appreciated.

What type of communications do you write ( Proposals, instructions, memos, etc)?

As a Design Engineer in the R&D Lab, I write Functional Specs to describe the product that I'm working on, as well as Theory of Operation documents to describe complicated circuits or products. These are both internal-only documents. I also write Application Notes of various kinds for customer consumption. I've also written other documents like Manufacturing Test Specifications for some of my products, and I also write test software occasionally.

I have written and given a number of presentations at conferences, usually in PowerPoint, but sometimes in other forms.

There is also a huge volume of e-mail -- probably more typing on e-mail than all of the other documents combined.

Oh, and I also post at my company's technical web forum (like the PF, but supporting my company's industry).

What types of readers do you address?

Internal company readers are other engineers, technicians, managers, and company executives.

External readers are our customers and others in the general industry.

Depends a bit on what I'm writing, but in general I try to outline what I'm going to write first, and fill out the outline over the course of days or weeks (depending on the timeline for the doc). This helps me brainstorm issues and solutions, and get the issues and concepts in the best order for understanding by my readers. Once the outline is pretty good, I'll do a draft. I'm a very fast typist, so this is basically done at talking speed as I work through the outline. The outline is generally circulated to a few people (especially my manager) for comments, and the drafts will go on our internal servers for wider review and feedback. Most of my documents have a "Change History" section, where the changes between the various drafts and revisions are tracked. Drafts start out with Rev 0.1 typically, and the first real release is Rev 1.0.

What type of technology do you use to write?

The first outline may be pen-and-paper, or a Notepad *.TXT simple document. Later outlines, drafts and final docs are in Microsoft Word, using the Heading Levels to match the structure of my outline.

How much time in your job do you spend writing?

At least half, but the bulk of that is e-mails. As a Design Engineer, I prefer to be in the lab or using tools on my PCs, but the reality is that the time spent on the actual design of a product is much less than all of the other supporting tasks (documenting, testing, supporting customers, etc.)

How else does writing fit into your job?

The only thing that comes to mind is the EE design tools I use. You don't really "write" per se with them, but you draw circuits, write software code, write HDL or Verilog code for chip designs, etc.

As a scientist, my writing process is an important aspect of my work. In order to communicate my research findings and ideas effectively, I follow a structured writing process that involves several steps.

Firstly, I start by outlining my ideas and creating a clear structure for my writing. This helps me to organize my thoughts and ensure that my writing flows logically.

Next, I conduct thorough research and gather all the necessary information to support my arguments. This may involve reading scientific papers, analyzing data, and consulting with colleagues.

Once I have all the necessary information, I begin the writing process by drafting my content. I make sure to use clear and concise language, avoiding jargon and technical terms that may be difficult for readers to understand. I also pay close attention to the formatting and layout of my writing to make it visually appealing and easy to follow.

In terms of technology, I use various tools such as word processing software, data analysis programs, and citation management software to aid in my writing process. These technologies help me to streamline my work and ensure accuracy in my writing.

In my job, I spend a significant amount of time writing. This includes writing research proposals, scientific papers, reports, and presentations. As a scientist, clear and effective writing is crucial in communicating my findings to other researchers and the general public.

Writing also plays a role in other aspects of my job, such as grant writing and collaborating with colleagues. Effective communication through writing is essential in securing funding for research projects and collaborating with other scientists.

In conclusion, as a scientist, my writing process involves careful planning, thorough research, and the use of various technologies. Writing is a crucial aspect of my job and is essential in effectively communicating my research to different audiences.

1. What is the first step in your writing process?

The first step in my writing process is brainstorming and gathering ideas. This involves researching the topic, taking notes, and organizing my thoughts.

2. How do you outline your writing?

I typically create a rough outline before beginning my writing. This includes an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. I also make note of any key points or supporting evidence that I want to include in each section.

3. What role does revision play in your writing process?

Revision is a crucial part of my writing process. After completing a first draft, I go back and make any necessary changes to improve the flow, clarity, and overall effectiveness of my writing.

4. How do you overcome writer's block?

When I experience writer's block, I try to take a break and come back to my writing with a fresh perspective. I also find it helpful to switch up my writing environment or try a different writing technique, such as freewriting or mind mapping.

5. Do you have any tips for staying organized while writing?

One tip I have for staying organized while writing is to create a schedule or timeline for completing different sections or drafts of my writing. I also like to use tools such as outlines, bullet points, and headings to keep my thoughts and ideas organized within my writing.