Finding invertible complex function

In summary, the person is seeking help with determining if certain functions are invertible in given intervals for their Calculus 2 class. They have solved one problem but are stuck on two others. They are wondering how to determine if a function is monotonic on a given interval, which is a necessary condition for invertibility. This can be determined by looking at the sign of the first derivative, as a function is monotonic if it is strictly increasing or decreasing.
gzAbc123
Hi there,
This is my first time posting on this site. I'm doing Calculus 2 and am stuck on finding whether or not the following functions are invertible in the given intervals and explaining why.

(a) sechx on [0,infinity)

--> I solved (a) but (b) and (c) is where I'm stuck.

(b) cos(lnx) on (0, e^pi)

(c) e^(x^2)

Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to find the inverse function, you just have to determine if an inverse exists. A necessary condition for invertibility on an interval is that the function is one-to-one on that interval. This condition is met if the function is monotonic on the interval.

So how would you determine whether a function is monotonic on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]?

A function is monotonic if it is strictly increasing or decreasing, correct? Then one would find this info out based on the sign of the first derivative?

What is an invertible complex function?

An invertible complex function is a mathematical function that maps a complex number to another complex number in a one-to-one and onto manner. This means that each input has a unique output, and each output has a unique input.

Why is it important to find an invertible complex function?

Finding an invertible complex function is important because it allows for the inverse calculation of complex numbers. This is useful in solving complex equations and in many other areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

How can I determine if a complex function is invertible?

A complex function f(z) is invertible if and only if it is both one-to-one and onto. This can be determined by checking if the function has a unique output for each input, and if there exists an input for each possible output.

What are some common examples of invertible complex functions?

Some common examples of invertible complex functions include the complex exponential function, logarithmic function, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. These functions have inverses that can be easily calculated.

Are all complex functions invertible?

No, not all complex functions are invertible. For a complex function to be invertible, it must satisfy the criteria of being one-to-one and onto. If a function is not one-to-one or onto, it is not invertible.