Raising boiling point of salt water

In summary, the individual is attempting to plasticize animal horns using a pressure cooker with a maximum pressure of 28 psi. However, this may not be an effective method as adding salt to water only raises its boiling point by about 10 degrees C and the desired temperature of 325 degrees F would require much higher pressures. The individual also expresses concern about using elevated pressures and suggests using glycerin as an alternative solution. They also mention considering super heating steam, but this may still require working at elevated pressures which is not recommended.
shofarsogood
How much salt per quart does it take to raise the temperature of water to 325 degrees at 28 PSI?

I am sorry to say I am not educated in physics but I do understand the more particles in the water the higher the boiling point. I am trying to plasticize animal horns in a pressure cooker with a maximum pressure of 28 psi.

Thank you for making this kitchen table ready !

Shalom

Shofarsogood

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: No amount. Look at a Dühring plot; saturating water with NaCl only raises its boiling point by about 10 degrees C. You can't get up to 325 F without pressures substantially larger than 28 psi.

Then there's also a quite obvious concern about having highly pressurized boiling water around, and using pressure cookers in ways they're not intended.

Why not just use oil instead?

Thanks, for the prompt reply. The dilema is not to cook the horn by using direct heat. I am concerned about the horn becoming brittle. I know it is possible to soften the solid tip deep enough to straighten it sufficiently to drill and form a mouthpiece.

The particular pressure cooker I am using has two saftey devices integral to keep it safe. One is set at 28 lbs PSI, the other is at 40 PSI, (and is not mechanical but a failure point of a rubber plug in case the first fails). The tank itself can go much higher, well over 100 psi without failure. I contacted the design department first to make sure I was not in danger.

Not sure if food safe glycerin would work?

Are there other ways to create moist heat above 300 degrees? I thought about super heating steam.

Any help would be appreciated. The horn is keratin much like a tough fingernail.

Thanks

shofarsogood said:
Not sure if food safe glycerin would work?

That'd work. It's got a boiling point well over 300 (554 F). If you must have some water in it, you could add about 5-10% water (by weight) and get a boiling point at about 300 degrees at atmospheric pressure, according to http://www.dow.com/glycerine/resources/table16_91100.htm" [Broken]. Should be fairly easy to test yourself, on a stove with a thermometer.

Are there other ways to create moist heat above 300 degrees? I thought about super heating steam.

Yeah well that's what you'd need with just water or water/salt. Most autoclaves don't go that high even (and if you've seen one, they're a lot sturdier than a pressure cooker.) I'd strongly recommend against working at elevated pressures. Worst case scenario doing it the first way is a spill, worst case the latter way means an explosion.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does adding salt to water raise its boiling point?

When salt is added to water, the salt ions (sodium and chloride) dissociate and become surrounded by water molecules. This disrupts the formation of water's hydrogen bonds, which are responsible for its boiling point. As a result, the boiling point of salt water increases.

2. How much salt do I need to add to raise the boiling point of water?

The amount of salt needed to raise the boiling point of water depends on the quantity of water and the desired increase in boiling point. Generally, adding 1 gram of salt to 100 grams of water will increase the boiling point by about 0.5 degrees Celsius.

3. Does the type of salt used affect the boiling point of water?

Yes, the type of salt used can affect the boiling point of water. Different salts have different dissociation properties and can raise the boiling point to varying degrees. For example, table salt (sodium chloride) has a greater effect on the boiling point than sea salt (a mixture of sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, and other minerals).

4. Is there a limit to how much the boiling point of water can be raised by adding salt?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the boiling point of water can be raised by adding salt. The boiling point of water can only increase up to the boiling point of the salt solution. For example, if the boiling point of the salt solution is 105 degrees Celsius, adding more salt will not raise the boiling point above this temperature.

5. Can adding salt to water affect its taste?

Yes, adding salt to water can affect its taste. The more salt that is added, the saltier the water will become. This is because the salt ions will eventually reach a point where they can no longer be dissolved and will remain in the water, making it taste salty.