Question about Braket notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation of equations using <r|i> and <a|j> in an orthonormal basis. The first equation is <r|i> = S_ri and the second equation is S_ri*S_aj = <r|i><a|j>. The conversation also mentions a typo in the second equation and the possibility of manipulating it to equal <r|h|a>. However, this is not possible as the left and right hand sides have different units. The conversation then delves into a more complex equation and discusses the conditions under which it could equal <r|h|a>. In summary, the conversation is about the manipulation of equations and the possibility of certain expressions being equal.
chemstudent09
Ok, here is my question.

When you have < r | i >, this equals Sri. So logically if that is that case, if you had SriSaj this would equal < r | j >< a | j >, right?

If so, then what does < r | j ><a | j > equal? I'm working a problem where I am trying to get a final answer of < r | h | a >. Is that even possible from what I have here?

By the way, S = Kronecker delta.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an orthonormal basis, yes, [tex]\left\langle {r}
\mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {r i}}
\right. \kern-\nulldelimiterspace}
{i} \right\rangle = \delta _{ri} [/tex].

However, what you wrote, [tex]\delta _{ri} \delta _{aj} = \left\langle {r}
\mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {r i}}
{i} \right\rangle \left\langle {a}
\mathrel{\left | {\vphantom {a j}}
{j} \right\rangle [/tex] is not true. I suspect a typo? Did you mean to put 'i' instead of the first 'j'?

EDIT: Ok until latex is back up, the first equation is <r|i> = S_ri. The second is S_ri*S_aj = <r|i><a|j>.

Yes sorry, that was a typo on my part. That first j was supposed to be an i.

Ok well, to answer your question, what you have with <r|j><a|j> is S_rj*S_aj.

Ok, now, is it possible for <r|i><a|j> = <r|h|a> ?

H is your Hamiltonian i assume? I can't imagine you'll get that manipulation ever if it is.

Last edited:
chemstudent09 said:
Ok, now, is it possible for <r|i><a|j> = <r|h|a> ?

Those don't have the same units. The left hand side is a pure number, and the right hand side has dimensions of energy.

Ok, I messed up in my problem. I have my problem worked down to this:

(I have to make E = Capital sigma (summation) because the LaTeX isn't working for some reason.)

E<i|h|j>[<r|i><a|j> - <r|j><a|i>]

(Sigma is summed over ij, I just don't know how to make it show on here)

Now is it possible for this to equal <r|h|a> ? In other words:

E<i|h|j>[<r|i><a|j> - <r|j><a|i>] = <r|h|a> ?

chemstudent09 said:
Ok, I messed up in my problem. I have my problem worked down to this:

(I have to make E = Capital sigma (summation) because the LaTeX isn't working for some reason.)

E<i|h|j>[<r|i><a|j> - <r|j><a|i>]

(Sigma is summed over ij, I just don't know how to make it show on here)

Now is it possible for this to equal <r|h|a> ? In other words:

E<i|h|j>[<r|i><a|j> - <r|j><a|i>] = <r|h|a> ?

Well, if |i> and |j> form a complete set of basis vectors (and i believe they do in this case), then the above expression reduces to this,
E<i|h|j>[<r|i><a|j> - <r|j><a|i>] = <r|h|a> - <a|h|r> = 2*iota*Im( <r|h|a> )
where Im() represents the imaginary part.

1. What is Braket notation?

Braket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operations. It uses angled brackets ⟨ ⟩ to enclose the state or operator being represented.

2. How is Braket notation used?

Braket notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and measurements in quantum mechanics. It is a concise and versatile way to represent complex mathematical operations and transformations in quantum systems.

3. What is the significance of the angled brackets in Braket notation?

The angled brackets in Braket notation represent a vector space. The left bracket ⟨ represents the bra vector, which is the complex conjugate of a column vector. The right bracket ⟩ represents the ket vector, which is a column vector. Together, they create a bra-ket pair that represents a vector in the vector space.

4. How is Braket notation different from traditional mathematical notation?

Braket notation is specifically designed for use in quantum mechanics and is not commonly used in traditional mathematics. It uses angled brackets and vertical bars to represent vectors and operators, whereas traditional notation may use parentheses and multiplication symbols.

5. Are there any rules or conventions for using Braket notation?

Yes, there are some common rules and conventions for using Braket notation. For example, the bra-ket pairs should always be written in the correct order, with the bra vector on the left and the ket vector on the right. Additionally, the inner product of two vectors is represented by placing a vertical bar between them, and the outer product is represented by placing a cross between them.