Intensity of EM radiation for two incoherent waves?

In summary, to find the intensity of EM radiation when two incoherent waves of intensities 10I0 and 14I0 travel in the same direction in the same region of space, the correct equation to use is I = I1 + I2 + 2√(I1I2) and the resulting intensity is 24I0. The order of I1 and I2 matters in the equation.
vrobins1

Homework Statement

Two incoherent EM waves of intensities 10I0 and 14I0 travel in the same direction in the same region of space. What is the intensity of EM radiation in this region?

Homework Equations

I = I1+I2 + 2√(I1I2) or
I = I1+I2 - 2√(I1I2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above formula adding AND subtracting (using 10 and 14 as my I1 and I2), but keep getting the answer wrong. I'm not sure how to go about this problem even though it seems simple.
Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 24I0. The equation you used is correct, but the order of the I1 and I2 matters. In this case, I1 = 10I0 and I2 = 14I0, so the equation should be:I = I1 + I2 + 2√(I1I2) = 10I0 + 14I0 + 2√(10I0 * 14I0) = 24I0

I would first clarify the term "incoherent" in this context. Incoherent waves refer to waves that have random phase differences and therefore do not exhibit constructive or destructive interference. This means that the intensities of the two waves cannot simply be added together.

To calculate the intensity of the resulting EM radiation, we need to use the formula for the sum of two incoherent waves, which is I = I1 + I2. In this case, the intensities of the two waves are 10I0 and 14I0, so the resulting intensity would be 24I0.

It is important to remember that the intensity of EM radiation is proportional to the square of the electric field amplitude, so the resulting electric field amplitude would be √(24I0).

In summary, the intensity of EM radiation in this region would be 24 times the initial intensity I0, and the resulting electric field amplitude would be √(24) times the initial electric field amplitude.

1. What is the definition of intensity of electromagnetic (EM) radiation?

The intensity of EM radiation is the amount of energy that is transmitted through an area perpendicular to the direction of propagation per unit time. It is measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m2).

2. How is the intensity of EM radiation related to the amplitude of the waves?

The intensity of EM radiation is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the waves. This means that if the amplitude of the waves is doubled, the intensity of the radiation will increase by a factor of four.

3. Can the intensity of EM radiation be negative?

No, the intensity of EM radiation cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of energy being transmitted, so it must always be a positive value.

4. What is the difference between coherent and incoherent waves in terms of intensity of EM radiation?

Coherent waves have a constant phase relationship, meaning they are synchronized and have a constant interference pattern. Incoherent waves, on the other hand, have random phase relationships and do not produce a consistent interference pattern. This results in a lower overall intensity for incoherent waves compared to coherent waves.

5. How do you calculate the intensity of EM radiation for two incoherent waves?

To calculate the intensity of EM radiation for two incoherent waves, you can use the equation I = I1 + I2, where I is the total intensity and I1 and I2 are the individual intensities of the two waves. This assumes that the two waves have the same wavelength and are traveling in the same direction.