Help! Calibrating Rig for Moment Force

In summary, to calibrate the moment force on the load cell, you need to add weights on the x and y-axes. The direction of the forces doesn't matter.
dotz5
Help! Calibration rig

Hi guys,
I'm new to engineering and currently, my school gave us a project to measure the lift, drag and moment forces acting on the aerofoil at various angle, but we need to do a calibration on the load cell which we will be using. But, how to we add weight on the moment axis to calibrate the moment force? we can only add weights on the x and y-axis to calibrate the lift and drag forces right??

Thank in advance and sorry for my bad english :shy:

rig.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your picture. A photograph of the setup would be more helpful. Also, don't say 'moment force' - it's simply moment.

opps..sorry that was a rough sketch on the calibration rig that we are going to construct...

My lecturer told us to add weights on the drag, lift and moment axis and the computer should pick up the exact forces acting on the axis.

so we added weights on the x-axis for the drag and y-axis for the lift but how to we add weights on the moment axis which will be turning?

( erm... do we need to follow the direction of the forces? can we add weight on the Z axis instead of the moment axis?)

All I can say is think of how your test article is attached to the load cell. Now take a step back and think of how you can achieve the same loads but with a dead weight.

If you post a better picture of what the mount structure looks like we can can get into more in depth help.

When we calibrate torque meters and such, it gets as simple as a bar with a weight on the end. You just have to make sure you are loading the cell properly. I am assuming that you have a different transducer for the moment since it's usually not good practice to load a standard load cell in any direction other than it's main axis.

Please post a better picture.

I managed to find the picture of the load cell from the net..

LMC3501.jpg

And these are taken from my school...

LMC.jpg

LMC1.jpg

Hope this helps...

1. How do I calibrate my rig for moment force?

To calibrate your rig for moment force, you will need to first determine the appropriate calibration method. This can vary depending on the type of rig and the specific moment force being measured. Once you have determined the method, you can follow the specific steps outlined in your rig's manual or seek guidance from an experienced technician.

2. Why is it important to calibrate my rig for moment force?

Calibrating your rig for moment force ensures that your measurements are accurate and reliable. This is important for obtaining accurate data and making informed decisions based on that data. It also helps to maintain the integrity of your rig and prolong its lifespan.

3. How often should I calibrate my rig for moment force?

The frequency of calibration will depend on several factors, including the type of rig and how often it is used. In general, it is recommended to calibrate your rig at least once a year, or more frequently if it is used frequently or in harsh conditions.

4. Can I calibrate my rig for moment force myself?

It is possible to calibrate your rig for moment force yourself, but it is recommended to seek guidance from a trained technician. They will have the necessary knowledge and equipment to ensure the calibration is done accurately and safely.

5. What should I do if my rig fails the moment force calibration?

If your rig fails the moment force calibration, it is important to take it out of service immediately. Contact your rig's manufacturer or a trained technician for assistance. Continuing to use a rig that has failed calibration can lead to inaccurate measurements and potentially dangerous situations.