Designing a Smart House Control System Using SMS and PIC Microcontroller

• Thread starter ericyeoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation is about a final year project that involves using a mobile phone as a modem to send and receive SMS, controlled by a PIC microcontroller. The PIC will be connected to a PC via a serial port. The person is unsure about which phone and program to use and asks for guidance. They mention having an iPhone 1G, Nokia E65, Sony Ericsson K700, and W850, and have searched for programs related to the topic. They are looking for an embedded solution that does not involve using a cellphone.
ericyeoh
Guys i need help here!
I'm working on Final year project for this year, my project is using a mobile phone just as a Modem to send and receive SMS control by the PC, and the PIC microcontroller is use to control the house system by respond to what the message is detected.
The PIC microcontroller with be connect to PC by through serial port.

At this moment i don;t know what type of phone should i use and what type of program should i wear on this project!
The mobile phone i have at this moment is Iphone 1G,Nokia E65,Sonic ericcson k700 and w850.
The program i search in web related to this topic is ActiveXpert sms/mms toolkit and SMS client.

Honestly I'm new in this topic i hope you guys can lead me forward! Please

Physics news on Phys.org
ericyeoh said:
Guys i need help here!
I'm working on Final year project for this year, my project is using a mobile phone just as a Modem to send and receive SMS control by the PC, and the PIC microcontroller is use to control the house system by respond to what the message is detected.
The PIC microcontroller with be connect to PC by through serial port.

At this moment i don;t know what type of phone should i use and what type of program should i wear on this project!
The mobile phone i have at this moment is Iphone 1G,Nokia E65,Sonic ericcson k700 and w850.
The program i search in web related to this topic is ActiveXpert sms/mms toolkit and SMS client.

Honestly I'm new in this topic i hope you guys can lead me forward! Please

If it's for this year, isn't it rather late to be spec'ing out your project (being end of semester and everything)? If you mean that it's for your upcoming year, you could use the fact that your house is connected to the Internet. Or, do a Google search for SMS Controller.

For instance, this page is amongst the first results, and may represent a starting point:
http://www.serasidis.gr/circuits/smscontrol/smscontroller.htm

EDIT: For an embedded solution that doesn't have a cellphone kludged in, look up GPRS modem, or CDMA modem. For instance:
http://www.smssolutions.net/hardware/

Last edited:
Thx for your reply and suggestion i will look through on it. The project is for this year means that i must complete it before the end of this year

1. What is a "Smart house with SMS project"?

A "Smart house with SMS project" is a technological system that allows homeowners to control and monitor various aspects of their home, such as lighting, temperature, security, and appliances, through the use of SMS (Short Message Service) or text messages. This project utilizes sensors, controllers, and communication devices to create a connected and automated home.

2. How does a "Smart house with SMS project" work?

The project works by using sensors to collect data from the environment, such as temperature, light, and motion. This data is then sent to a central controller, which processes the information and triggers actions accordingly. These actions can include turning on/off lights, adjusting the thermostat, or sending an alert to the homeowner's phone. The homeowner can also send commands to the system through text messages, allowing for remote control of their home.

3. What are the benefits of a "Smart house with SMS project"?

There are several benefits to having a "Smart house with SMS project." Firstly, it provides convenience and ease of control for homeowners. They can monitor and control their home from anywhere, as long as they have access to their phone. Secondly, it can help save energy and reduce utility costs by automating and optimizing various systems in the home. Lastly, it can improve home security by sending alerts for any unusual activity or unauthorized access.

4. What are the potential downsides of a "Smart house with SMS project"?

One potential downside is the initial cost of setting up the system. It can be expensive to purchase and install the necessary sensors, controllers, and communication devices. Another downside is the reliance on technology and the potential for system malfunctions or hacking. Homeowners may also need to learn and understand the system's interface and commands, which can be challenging for some individuals.

5. Can a "Smart house with SMS project" be integrated with other smart home devices?

Yes, a "Smart house with SMS project" can be integrated with other smart home devices, such as voice assistants, smart thermostats, and security cameras. This allows for a more comprehensive and interconnected smart home experience. However, compatibility and communication between different devices may vary, so it is important to research and choose devices that can seamlessly integrate with each other.