Help with mechanical engineering

In summary, if you want to become a mechanical engineer, it is important to focus on subjects such as math, physics, and English. These subjects will provide a strong foundation for your future studies in engineering. Additionally, learning a second language can also be beneficial.
-Jerry™
Hey, I'm only young 13.. i want to be a mechanical engineer when I'm older.. when I'm in year 11 what subjects should i choose? like physics, maths etc.

and at a young age what can i learn a bit now that will help me when I'm older.

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineering is nearly all math. You'll definitely want to pursue a path towards at least basic calculus. Concentrate, too on the sciences, particularly physics and don't forget about English studies: effective engineers must be able to communicate clearly.

ok thanks

so..

Maths
Physics
English

You have that much choice for GCSE?

Well you have to do maths english and science anyway don't you, do you do dual science or separate sciences?

DT Systems and Control (or whatever the equivilant is now)

Unless you really really hate them take a language. I hated German because I was rubbish at it, but a second language is a mega useful thing to have.

Last edited:

What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. This includes machines, engines, and other mechanical devices that are used in various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

What skills are needed for a career in mechanical engineering?

To be successful in mechanical engineering, one needs to have a strong background in math and physics, as well as good problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Other important skills include computer-aided design (CAD) proficiency, knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes, and the ability to work well in a team.

What types of jobs can I get with a degree in mechanical engineering?

A degree in mechanical engineering can lead to a variety of careers, including design engineer, manufacturing engineer, research and development engineer, project manager, and many others. Mechanical engineers work in a wide range of industries, from automotive to renewable energy.

What are the latest advancements in the field of mechanical engineering?

There are constantly new advancements being made in the field of mechanical engineering. Some recent developments include the use of 3D printing for rapid prototyping and manufacturing, advancements in renewable energy technology, and the integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning in mechanical systems.

What are the steps to becoming a licensed mechanical engineer?

The exact steps to becoming a licensed mechanical engineer may vary depending on your location, but generally, it involves completing a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, gaining relevant work experience, and passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and the Professional Engineering (PE) exam. Additionally, some states may also require continuing education to maintain your license.